TWD going UP - updates in 2021-2023?

TWD is falling apart. Sell all your TWDs for USDs now if you want to survive

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZG1CE

Indeed the worse the Taiwan economy does and the lower the interest rates go the better the NTD does. This makes a lot of sense. :loco:

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZG1CE

[quote=“headhonchoII”]http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZG1CE

Indeed the worse the Taiwan economy does and the lower the interest rates go the better the NTD does. This makes a lot of sense. :loco:

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZG1CE[/quote]

Right, USD strength was a given. No one could have seen this coming.

Taiwan’s real interest rate is still much higher than the US (positive vs negative), so why wouldn’t a strengthening TWD vs USD make sense? USD strength in anticipation of rate hikes is a gimmick that’s almost completely over. Expect increasing TWD strength later this year and next year when US weakness becomes more obvious and looser monetary policy follows, regardless if Taiwan is easing too.

In the short to mid term, a Chinese debt crisis and yuan crash could bring the TWD down quite a bit. But even if this happens, long term the TWD will gain on the USD

Lets see what helicopter money will do

Dunno but all the local insurance and investment companies are crying doomsday, doing their best sales pitch based on “the Central Bank will lowe rthe inetrests and so will we, so get this product at a better rate now or never!”

All I care about is how expensive a trip to Japan will be down the road.

NTD seems to have gotten stronger. Seems around 31.30 to 1 USD today.

ha ha. “TWD going DOWN” as in less TWD to pay for USD. Now 29.5.

Taiwan dollar going up and has been for years (against most currencies ) :grinning:.
Now @33.38:1 TWD EUR.

I predict we will get to 32:1 TWD EUR by Chinese new year . What say ye?
TSMC, investments coming in from China, hot money flows…?

Nice gravedig. TWD has gone up a lot against RMB over the last 5 years (about 20%) also going up but more slowly versus the yo yo.

Mixed feelings. Its killing our savings, but at least the salary looks better.

1 Like

A little similar situation. I have a fair amount converted into Euro already. I’m thinking of waiting till next year to convert more over (it’s my rainy day move back fund).

Speaking for myself It does feel good that on paper I’m doing better and it’s not only on paper , I got a few reasonable pay rises and the income tax take has reduced quite a bit since Tsai was elected.

I’m still waiting for the day euro becomes 1:17.

There’s an outside chance we could hit 31 or even 30 TWD to the EUR given the anticipated 5G and IOT sales and large-scale investment coming into Taiwan. 32:1 is me being reasonable, we touched that briefly last year I think.

I believe it strengthens at that time period because companies remit large amounts of money from overseas to pay their stock and bonus obligations.

Looking at moving some cash to either EUR or US$ at the moment too, upcoming election results and aftermath could see the TWD bolt in either direction, decisions, decisions!

I personally think it depends on 5G, AI and IOT market ramp up a lot more. They all need a lot of chips. Usually the TWD will strengthen at CNY.
The election is in the bag for Tsai, only unknown is the legislature.

It’s very unlikely for EUR to go up again, their economy doing real bad, and USD will go up if there is a recession. Otherwise I’d stick with TWD for the next year, at least.

I hate when I see this rubbish. Many countries in the EU and the Eurozone are doing very well indeed. When people say the German economy is doing bad they should check the stats of Germany to see what that actually means. Germany doesn’t even borrow money to fund itself !
Holland, Ireland , Austria doing badly ?
Other countries not in the Eurozone such as Poland, Norway , Sweden and Denmark doing bad ?
Yeah there’s a slow down in Germany and interest rates are going to be low which means Euro will be depressed a bit, but you can’t make a blanket statement like that.

1 Like

I don’t see that at all, most of the EU is doing quite well.

Why? Far too much uncertainty with TWD, will pull the trigger soon on getting out of it to anything else.

These countries are pretty small (except NL which is a huge export economy). I know you wouldn’t admit it but the truth is if Germany isn’t doing well, the EU isn’t. It’s the backbone of European economy and every other EU country is its satellite.

Sweden is not doing well atm.

1 Like

Of course many of them are doing just fine or even amazingly well but the Euro reflects the union not individual countries.
Also, there’s a lot of uncertainty with Brexit, Italian debt and German economy. These are relatively recent worries when compared to the Taiwan’s security issues which were all there from the beginning.

What’s wrong with the Euro exactly? It’s very stable .