TWD going UP - updates in 2021-2023?

Could anyone explain to me why the NTD is continuing to devalue now? Are we racing downward to stay in line with the yen—or is something else going on?

Guy

1 Like

Probably interest rate related since they are so slow to increase it.

The other reason will be GDP growth .

1 Like

No, I don’t. I stayed in airbnbs when I was taking advantage of the weak euro.

1 Like

Interest rates. Plus China’s fundamentals are worsening so they drag down the rest of Asia with them.

3 Likes

It’s been good for me and others with US funds or US$ based income.

1 Like

Buy and sell both 32 plus now… 32.5 coming?

USD gonna be riding high for a while, I’m starting to think EUR will dip first.

What’s the reason for such a high dollar value despite all the inflation?

Well I get some income in Quid, happy its 40+ now, year ago 37, so almost 10% more which did not expect

High interest rates causing capital inflow.

Isn’t Taiwan raising their interest rate as well?

Not to 5%.

So is there any relationship to the price of products vs. their currency value? I mean you would think that stuff would get cheaper if dollar got cheaper right? I mean like for example, Japan’s stuff hasn’t gotten more expensive even though their currency keeps dropping.

Jesus, man. Read an econ book or something.

3 Likes

Wait until Yen hits 200.
Things will be bargain-basement cheaper than they already are cheap.

Woo, first time in years I’ve been able to withdraw NT$12k from my UK account in one go. :partying_face:

(I realize that’s low for some countries, but all of my UK banks have a daily card limit of 300 GBP. I think there was another brief period last year where it went over 40 TWD/GBP too.)

2 Likes

Can’t you just adjust the max withdrawal with the bank?

Nope.

The daily limit isn’t really a problem anyway — my point was more about the increasing TWD/GBP rate making it possible to withdraw noticeably more TWD for what feels like the same amount of GBP.

HSBC has a new offering up to 7% on US$ fixed term. If NT$ keeps depreciating I might make another 3 month fixed term deposit. I got 6% from my last 3 months.

Is this the one? It seems to be offered to new Premier customers. Or is it available to existing Premier customers, too