Twelve picked up in food import customs graft case

Who would’ve known? :roflmao:

Full story

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Who would’ve known? :roflmao:

Full story

You mean Taiwanese customs officials actually accept bribes? Shocking!

Okay, irony off. Taoyuan is a colander. I know people who repeatedly have accessed the country with more alcohol than it’s allowed (they should have paid taxes on that, plus leave some at customs), and also other food products. Heck, most taiwanese going abroad carry back half a supermarket worth of food in their luggage. And I don’t know anyone who has been stopped, not even once, at customs (vacuum packing the food before coming might have to do with it).

But in case they’re stopped, it’s no wonder they can bribe the officers. From what I’ve heard, it’s a common practice here to bribe the lowest officials. In other countries, high officials are fast to accept bribes, but the lower ones will go down on you like divine retribution if you even give them a hint that you’d be willing to pay them.

They don’t take petty bribes directly in Taiwan, at least I’ve never heard of it, its mid level officials who are usually ‘on the take’ with businesses. Although even school teachers and bankers pay bribes to their higher ups to get hired or get promoted. They have to pass the exams but to be selected for the position a big red envelope is also thrown in…not necessarily directly but might be a gift at a wedding, they have lots of ways to do it. These cultured people are not so cultured as to refuse wads of cash.

Another place that bribes are paid is around vehicle testing centers in Taichung, you just go into the neighboring mechanic and they magically get your vehicle to pass for a fee. Chinese culture, 5000 years of getting around the system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk