Twenty dollar coin

Right now I’m sitting at an internet cafe. After paying, I was given a twenty dollar coin as change. I thought it was taken out of circulation a few months ago.

[quote=“aubrey”]Right now I’m sitting at an internet cafe. After paying, I was given a twenty dollar coin as change. I thought it was taken out of circulation a few months ago.[/quote]No, just very uncommon.
It’s listed here: cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Coins.asp

The story was that my grandfather dropped a twenty dollar gold piece down the fireplace in the house in Stigler. Nobody ever found it. When they tore down the house, we all looked for it, but it was not there. If you ask me, I think he spent it on liquor.

They were just waiting for a foreigner to come along so they could get rid of it.

[quote=“Slartibartfast”][quote=“aubrey”]Right now I’m sitting at an internet cafe. After paying, I was given a twenty dollar coin as change. I thought it was taken out of circulation a few months ago.[/quote]No, just very uncommon.
It’s listed here: cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Coins.asp[/quote]

Do you think it’s worth holding on to?

Has anybody ever seen the half-dollar coin listed there? In almost 9 years in TW I’ve never even heard about it …

[quote=“aubrey”][quote=“Slartibartfast”][quote=“aubrey”]Right now I’m sitting at an internet cafe. After paying, I was given a twenty dollar coin as change. I thought it was taken out of circulation a few months ago.[/quote]No, just very uncommon.
It’s listed here: cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Coins.asp[/quote]

Do you think it’s worth holding on to?[/quote]

If I were you, I’d hold on to it. Mind you, I’m not you. I’m me.

I would hold on to one if I was given one. How’s that?

There’s 20s, 200s and 2000s. Problem is you almost never see them.

Why the hell don’t they get on with making these more common. They’ve been around for years now. I like them. It’s stupid not having these denominations, and even stupider having them,but you only see them once in a blue moon.

Brian

In the States, I really liked the $2 bills, so I used to ask my bank to save them for me when they came in, and I would take them and spend them everywhere. I became known as the $2-bill guy at all my frequently freqented shops.

Here, like there, I imagine you can order them at a bank. There is probably a minimum purchase, perhaps 2000 units, e.g., 2000 such coins or bills. If we get a group together we could place an order, and then we could all start spending tons of NT$200 bills, for example, and put them back into circulation. Who’s game? :slight_smile:

I wish they would circulate legal NT5,000, NT10,000 notes. It would certainly be more convienent.
I like the NT200 bills also.

I have got a couple of them from 15 years ago, but I don’t think any shop would have accepted them even then.

I found one about seven months ago walking on the street one afternoon in front of my building. I’ve been here a few years and never knew they existed. I showed my wife and she tripped out because she hasn’t seen one for like eighteen years.

I don’t know if it is worth anything more then the half one NT it already is. But it’s a pretty cool little coin.

A student gave me one of those 50c coins five years ago. I had a green two hundred note last week and tried really hard not to break it but ended up spending it eventually.

I was wondering the exact same thing about the 20NT coin as I have one in my bedroom but haven’t been given one as change in quite some time.

You can get an NT$0.50 coin any time you like…just go to the Post Office and buy that special paper for “registered Post Office evidentiary letters”. It costs NT$0.50 per piece, so if you buy an odd number of sheets, they’ll give you the change with the little tiny coin. :slight_smile:

ironfox :wink:

I got handed an NT$20 coin a while back, immediately spent it and never saw another one again. I had thought they were going to be more common. Probably worth holding on to.

I do hav a 5 Jiao (50 cents) floating around the house somewhere, it looks very similar to a NT$1 but it has a map of Taiwan on one side and it’s dated 37 or 38 i.e. a few years after the KMT took over.

Are these different to the 50 cents you can get at the P.O.?

I have a couple of Chinese one cent bank notes too. They are about the size of a postage stamp but they are actually legal tender though you would be hard pressed to buy anything for 1 cent.