Two ABCs (USA, AUS) with Dual Nationality Getting Married

Hey everyone,

I’m moving back to Taiwan this month, primarily because my fiance is there, and we plan to marry in the next year. My question is - does it make a difference that I am Taiwanese-American and he is Taiwanese-Australian? We both have Taiwanese and foreign passports. I know that it simplifies our marriage process in Taiwan, compared to two foreigners getting married, but what about for the US or Australia to recognize our marriage? We plan to be in Taiwan for the next few years, but eventually one of us will be in our non-passport country as a spouse.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Congratulations!

Since you and your spouse are citizens of ROC (Taiwan), there shouldn’t be any problems for either of you to stay in Taiwan. As for your other identity (American or Australian), once you receive your marriage certificate, bring your spouse to the respective trade office (embassy) to file for a marriage visa. Once you receive the visa, it is necessary to enter the respective nation to begin the residency process. In the case of becoming a US citizen, your spouse must reside in the US upon receive of permenant residency for at least 3 consecutive years to apply for citizenship. If you and your spouse do not intend to stay in the US, your spouse must visit the US every 180 days to prevent his/her residency from revolcation. I believe similar rules must follow for an Australian residency and citizenship.

Good luck!

[quote=“soulofafl0wer”]Hey everyone,

I’m moving back to Taiwan this month, primarily because my fiance is there, and we plan to marry in the next year. My question is - does it make a difference that I am Taiwanese-American and he is Taiwanese-Australian? We both have Taiwanese and foreign passports. I know that it simplifies our marriage process in Taiwan, compared to two foreigners getting married, but what about for the US or Australia to recognize our marriage? We plan to be in Taiwan for the next few years, but eventually one of us will be in our non-passport country as a spouse.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance![/quote]

Yes your marriage here as a Taiwan national is recognized in Australia and also USA. It’s non a non country Taiwan is a country just not with formal diplomatic recognition. Both the USA and Australia have large offices here for doing things like passports, notorizations, consular services, immigration services etc. Just like a normal embassy in other countries.

You and your partner both need to enter Taiwan on Taiwan passports. Congrats