Two apps really needed in English

I was just getting more and more frustrated with Easy Wallet today since it had logged me out and all the instructions to get back in were in Chinese and I had to wait for my GF to come back to help me.

What we really really need here are two basic apps in English
a) One that tells you how much you have on your Easy Card and optionally allows you to top it up
b) One that tell you how long you have to wait for busses at the bus stop you are at and can also direct you to the nearest bus top with a list of busses that go from there, wait times and where those busses go. I know there are a few Chinese apps that do this but I haven’t found one simple enough I can use with my limited Chinese so I think an English one like this not being offered already by TPE City Govn is daft beyond belief - unless there is one but I just haven’t found it yet?

Anyone else think of apps we really could do with in English - The NHI one for booking appointments would be amazing too.

If one is going to be in a new country for many years, why not just learn the local language to a degree of competency?

Creating an English version of the site for a few tenthousand long-term folks is a lot of work for little reward in many companies/institutions’ eyes.

For the buses, there is an English site.
https://ebus.gov.taipei/Query/BusRoute

BusTracker Taiwan. It has English

2 Likes

As to creating a site, I didn’t say that, I said an app would be useful.
There is that website, but it’s not very useful unless you are sitting at a computer.
As to learning the local language, well to use an app you need to learn to read it too which is a whole level of magnitude harder. I know of a number of people who have had 100s of hrs of lessons, been here for 20+ yrs and still can’t manage colours or buy any food other than what they normally get from the restaurant every time. A lot of the issues with the Chinese apps is the bloat, each app tries to do so much that navigating them is getting harder and harder. I used to use one of the taxi apps to call taxis but it seemed almost every month there was a new version and they moved the icons around getting to the point I had to relearn the app over and over again. I gave up in the end.

As I said before what would be very useful is simple no frills apps - to develop these should be simple because most of the hard work has already happened in the Chinese apps. Take the 2-3 useful functions from those, drop the rest of the ‘features’ and swap what is left to English and its done.

I don’t think the airport has a city government. Oh wait you mean Taipei.

Is referring to cities by their airport code a Taiwan thing? :joy:

4 Likes

Amazing - thanks.

2 Likes

The easy card app is set and forget. Once you’ve added your card using the Chinese interface, you don’t need to interact with anything Chinese to know your balance. Just use google translate to add your card and then you’re golden. For the bus tracker, there are many English apps, they’re shit, but they’re shit in Chinese too.

1 Like

Not quite, the issue today was it ‘logged me out’ and I couldn’t understand enough to fill in the ‘forms’ to get back in again. As to not needing to interact with it - that’s also not quite right, you need to be able to navigate the interface to find the right ‘page’ to get the card value. Again if this doesn’t work 1st time because you’ve been ‘logged out’ then its a real hassle because if you don’t realise what has happened then you spend ages trying all the other ‘pages’ unless you can find someone to help you.

An English version would have saved me lots of time today on the above.

There’s your first problem. You don’t need to login to see your card balance. Add the card independently of your account. You don’t need an account

There’s an app called Chrome you can use to display websites on your phone.

8 Likes

Sorry ‘Logon’ is what the GF translated it as, I had to re-enter by phone number and password code today for it to work.

[quote=“rooftopclown, post:10, topic:223803, full:true”]

I’m assuming you are joking - the Bus Tracker app someone mentioned above is a better method on a phone.

I’ve come to appreciate the convenience of using my Apple Watch for all of my monetary transactions (Apple Pay linked to my debit card), and have stopped using EasyCards and iPass Cards all together. No need to carry a wallet. Most places that accept EasyCards or iPass Cards have credit card readers with Apple Pay, even the MRT.

Although some smaller street-side shops only accept mobile payment via QR code, for which I have an iPass Money account. It’s within the Line app (which you probably already have) and it’s in English.

I use Apple Maps for that. Everything is in English, and it doesn’t seem to be any less accurate than the dedicated bus apps.

In the end, cash is always flawless, accepted everywhere, cant be hacked or go offline and it is ultra convenient! :slight_smile:

In the end, figuring out the bus system is hit and miss in mandarin as well in many places. Takes time and effort.

4 Likes

You’re the first person I know who thinks using cash is ultra convenient.

Make me the second. I am in and out while xiaojie over there fumbles with her phone to get to the right app and then spend 30 seconds getting the scanner to scan the bloody thing.

And cash is king of privacy.

5 Likes

Third

3 Likes

You still need to pull cash out of your wallet, don’t you? And once you hand it to the cashier, you still need to wait for them to open the register, put away your cash, take out your change, count your change, and hand you the change, right?

And then comes the worst part: The coins are on top of the bills they just handed you. What are you going to do? Dump everything into the same compartment in your wallet? Nay. You need to first pick out the coins and put them into the coin purse, and then slide the bills into the main compartment. Not to mention your wallet only holds a limited amount of coins, so you can’t keep them in there forever. You’ll sometimes need to pay with coins to be able to get rid of them, so you also need to add the time it takes you to count coins.

Surely this can’t be more convenient than scanning a phone or an Apple Watch.

This app was a life saver. I never got why google was so far off on the bus times.

1 Like