Two Jobs Legal?

I am a little confused. I have an ARC, and I’ve applied to work part time at another school. They want to tell the government / tax me because they are worried about being legal, but I thought it was illegal to have a second job. I am not worried about the tax issue - that’s not a problem. I just want to know whether it’s legal to have a second job. Anyone know the details of this for sure?

It is illegal to work at any address other than the one that appears on your ARC.

It is illegal to work at any address other than the one that appears on your ARC.[/quote]
That’s the reasoning my wife uses when she tells me it’s time to vaccuum, do the dishes, do the laundry, etc. My ARC has my home address on it, so that’s where I get put to work. :?

[quote]That’s the reasoning my wife uses when she tells me it’s time to vaccuum, do the dishes, do the laundry, etc. My ARC has my home address on it, so that’s where I get put to work.
[/quote]Change the address :wink: . My ARC address is at the mother in law’s, but she got buckley’s of making me doing anything remotely energetic.

Zoranja, pay no attention to these comedians – one of 'ems a Canuck and the other’s an Aussie, so it goes without saying that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Seriously, they are both married and have a different kind of ARC to yours (I’m assuming that your ARC is provided by your school). If you have an ARC issued by an employer, his business address will be on your ARC and that is the only place you are legally allowed to work.

BTW, the tax office don’t give a monkey’s about all that stuff. They just want your tax dollars. If you decide to take the second job (not that ANYONE at Forumosa would condone such behaviour) just make sure you get a tax witholding statement from both jobs so you can get your tax refund.

Correct me if I am wrong but… is not the address on your ARC your residence. The address on your work permit is the company’s school’s whatever address?

For the above two married chaps (Maoman and Amos) the address on your ARC, shold be in theory the same as that on the Hu Ji ( household reg)

Amos I assume your wife still has the Hu Ji with her family and did not take out one for herself and you when you got married, hece you have the same address on your ARC as your mother in laws ID card.

TNT wrote[quote]Amos I assume your wife still has the Hu Ji with her family and did not take out one for herself and you when you got married, hece you have the same address on your ARC as your mother in laws ID card.[/quote]Actually she took one out for ourselves but left the address at mother’s. We seem to move house every year.

[quote]Correct me if I am wrong but… is not the address on your ARC your residence. The address on your work permit is the company’s school’s whatever address?

For the above two married chaps (Maoman and Amos) the address on your ARC, shold be in theory the same as that on the Hu Ji ( household reg)
[/quote]

Actually if you have a work-based ARC, the school’s name will be on your ARC, and the address on your work permit (maybe ont he ARC too?).

If you have a marriage-based ARC, the address on your ARC should be your residential address, which could well be different from the household registration address, but your spouse’s name will be there.

I guess if you have a missionary visa, the name of the church is on your ARC etc.

Brian

Didn’t I read here a while back that you could now get a second job added to your ARC if the first didn’t object?

In theory, yes, as it is stated in the new labour act (from May 2003) that you can have 2 or more work permits. In practice, who knows, I have not seen any come down the pipe yet.

I’m in the position right now where I have taken a corporate assignment from a second employer and a Chinese woman has just asked me to teach her English at her company (a third employer). They want to take a copy of my ARC and take off 20% tax. I’m only in the 6% tax bracket.

Don’t you think they should just pay me cash? I could get a tax withholding statement from them at the end of the year. Would that be the best way to go?

My legal school knows about the other two jobs. They’ve asked me to drop the evening one after I finish a three month semester with them. I don’t want to.

Out of a duty to my work permit holding employer, am I obligated to drop this great corporate assignment at the second school even if I don’t like the assignment my first employer wants to give me?

I would guess it depends on your contract. If you’re doing another job in your free time then in theory it’s none of their business, but if you’re not tied to fixed hours they might require that you be available whenever they want you.

Of course, you are breaking the law by working somewhere else. They could reasonably argue that by engaging in an illegal activity you are putting yourself at risk of arrest. Your arrest would cause problems for them, so they’re probably within their rights to insist that you obey the law.

On the other hand, you’re not actually working anywhere else. Are you? They must have imagined that. You stopped when they asked you, didn’t you?

Well that was a long time ago, and I can’t find any more recent posts on the subject. Is it possible to get two work permits or not? I am currently in the position of wishing to take up a second job and have it added to my ARC.

Well, I have just been informed by a staff member at the place where I want to work that Taiwan law prohibits foreigners from holding more than one job. They can have only one work permit, at one company, at one location. :noway:

I thought you could have 2 as long as it didn’t go over a certain number of hours per week. Or is that teachers only?

Generally speaking, the staff, especially the accounting staff and HR, know less about the actual laws than my neighbor’s dog.
A year ago, when I came to work here at TheWorld’sLargestTechnologyCompany, HR had no idea about a JFRV and were telling me they needed to see my diploma and all this rot, then after explaining to about 5 different people, they finally settled on demanding to see my marriage cert, which I once again had to take turns with my wife explaining to yet another 6 or 8 functionaries, was crap, that all they needed to see was my ID, which they FINALLY agreed on…and then on my second or third day on the job they came back telling me I was going to have to pay 20% tax for my first year, despite my having been here since most of them were in Primary school…
I honestly think the government doesn’t want them to really know the rules.

Thanks guys, that confirms that a more accurate source of information is required. Any ideas what that might be?

Current labor law allows 3 schools on your ARC. Get your primary sponsor. They must be able to provide no less than 14 hours per week. If you want to work part time, simply have a secondary and tertiary school onto your current ARC. I have been told that it requires the agreement from your primary but I am not sure about this. I was never asked about it and I have 3. Maybe they cooperated. I dont know. I don’t plan to ask. If you leave the primary, the secondary becomes your sponsor and now must provide the required 14 hours. I have also been told that the primary must cooperate to allow the secondary to become your sponsor. Again - not sure. But you CAN have 3 schools on there.
There was an earlier post about the tax office not caring about who you work for. True, this was the law and policy about a year ago. They care now. If you have reported income from a secondary school that is not on your ARC, you are in for serious problems. Dont do that. Get it legal and keep it that way. Life is too short for that crap.

BTW, for newbies that think they can skate on this previous post, dont. You are on a short leash out of the country. If you look back on posts on this thread, you find no end of folks that are crying about having to leave within 10 days. Don’t put yourself in this situation. If in doubt, ask politely and you will get the best information the worker has to offer. It might not be accurate and if in doubt, come ask. Many forumosans have been here for many years and have seen it all. They will all help. Just do it right and if in doubt, ask.

I am not a teacher, and I don’t work for schools. I work for an accounting company, for 30 hours a week. The second company I want to work for is a business communications company.

I have told the communications company that I don’t want them paying me unless they can make it legal. I told them flat out I want them on my ARC. That’s what prompted an employer to apparently investigate and tell me I can’t have more than one job registered on my ARC.