Two months in Taiwan every year

You know how TomHill always starts threads asking for advice? Well…can I?

Question: Should my wife and I spend January and February of each year in Taiwan?

Details:
Me: Canadian. She: Taiwanese and Canadian (officially, like).
Both of us have lived in Canada since 2000.
I lived in Taiwan from 1993 to 1999.
We’re both in our early forties. We’re both freelance translators. No kids.

Yay:
This would be a perfect way of satisfying a desire to live in Taiwan temporarily, we could stay with her folks, which would be cool. Taiwan would be a pleasant diversion for us.
Our house here in the Grating White North could be rented out by students at the nearby chef’s school, which holds intensive courses just in Jan. and Feb. Our neighbour who runs a B&B does this, she goes away for these two months every year.
My wife adores the four seasons in southern Ontario and hates the summer heat in Taiwan, so the timing would be perfect.
We both miss our friends in Taiwan. We both miss Taiwan, period.

Nay:
I was never unnerved by earthquakes until 9-21 and 10-22. I left Taiwan for good on 11-1.
Erm…this past year I was blessed with generalized anxiety disorder.
We should go somewhere else for our working holiday. Anywhere else.

[quote=“rousseau”]You know how TomHill always starts threads asking for advice? Well…can I?

Question: Should my wife and I spend January and February of each year in Taiwan?
[/quote]

Well, to be a true TOMHILL thread you should really include your name in the title, repeatedly refer to yourself in the third person, and whine a lot.

Yes, sounds like a good plan. Where in Taiwan would you be living? Chiayi?

sounds like a good life. Maybe come back here in October and November as well when the weather is better

My first thought also. This place is bloody depressing in Jan and Feb, except maybe way down south.

I think he would be in the South. And trust me, fall is a bit hot. While Taipei cools off quite quickly and often has a pleasant autumn, the weather down south is more comfortable after November. Remember that they’ll be leaving fairly low temps in Canada so the mercury hitting the low and mid 20s will be plenty warm. ‘Winters’ in the south are dry too (weatherwise that is).

Also consider additional expenses around Chinese New Year.

[quote=“rousseau”]You know how TomHill always starts threads asking for advice? Well…can I?

Details:
Me: Canadian. She: Taiwanese and Canadian (officially, like).
Both of us have lived in Canada since 2000.
I lived in Taiwan from 1993 to 1999.
We’re both in our early forties. We’re both freelance translators. No kids.

Yay:
This would be a perfect way of satisfying a desire to live in Taiwan temporarily, we could stay with her folks, which would be cool. Taiwan would be a pleasant diversion for us.
Our house here in the Grating White North could be rented out by students at the nearby chef’s school, which holds intensive courses just in Jan. and Feb. Our neighbour who runs a B&B does this, she goes away for these two months every year.
My wife adores the four seasons in southern Ontario and hates the summer heat in Taiwan, so the timing would be perfect.
We both miss our friends in Taiwan. We both miss Taiwan, period.

Nay:
I was never unnerved by earthquakes until 9-21 and 10-22. I left Taiwan for good on 11-1.
Erm…this past year I was blessed with generalized anxiety disorder.
We should go somewhere else for our working holiday. Anywhere else.[/quote]
The yays outweigh the nays. I say go for it!

It’s actually a dream of mine to be able to do that. :laughing:

Sounds like a good plan.

I too will be spending 2 months back on the rock, April 7th I will come back.
Leave behind the -10 C nights.

Leave the rock just in time to escape the heat.

Have a nice trip!

Wow, nothing but positive responses. Yeah, we’d be in the south, most likely Chiayi, so the weather wouldn’t be rainy every day. Believe it or not, I’ve come to appreciate Canadian winters again, at least those in the vicinity of Toronto, which is one of the warmest parts of the country. Three degrees with no wind and big fluffy snowflakes wafting gently to the ground on Christmas day combined with excellent central heating–what’s not to like? Indeed, the coldest winters I’ve ever endured were in Taiwan, so that will actually be a bit of a downside. It’s not a deal breaker, though.

Could I even get a JFRV, or are there conditions about length of residence per year in Taiwan attached to those?

There are no limits to the JFRV, unlike the APRC, which is at least 1 day every 180 days must be spent in Taiwan.

Being in Taiwan with family for Chinese New Year would be a plus, for me. Christmas at home in a snowy clime, and then off to Taiwan for CNY where people actually care about it.

Not fair. I only get 1 month a year. :aiyo: