Two Passports, How to Handle Airport?

Something only for HK … I’ve seen it last time, Taibaozheng is for China.

Taicbozheng also for HK as well. But there is a different one if you want to go to HK only.

When you come back through Taiwan customs, your Taiwanese passport won’t have any stamps in it that says where you have been. Is that ever a problem? I seem to remember the passport control people going through the back pages to check. I guess this same question would apply going through American customs. Won’t the American customs want to know where the kid was previously? If I just hand him the passport, and it doesn’t have any stamps, they’ll probably ask. Thank you.

No. At least in my experience. The passport has an exit stamp. That’s all they need to see. Same at UK immigration.

Thank you, @Sandman. That makes sense coming back into Taiwan. I guess I’m more worried about landing in the States and using an American passport without any entry or exit stamps in it. I figure they might wonder how did he get out of America in the first place. Thanks again.

Remember that I have no idea how the American passport control people operate!
I’m talking only about my own experience taking my own child to the UK and bringing him back into Taiwan using two passports.

I don’t think they care. People lose their passports and citizens are born overseas all the time.

The way my mom does it (she has taiwan and usa passports) is enter taiwan w/ taiwan passport. stay how ever long she wants. before heading back to the usa, she takes an overseas trip to have her usa passport stamped. goes back to taiwan on taiwan passport. heads back to usa w/ stamped usa passport. so i’m guessing her taiwan passport just has a bunch of taiwan exit/entry stamps but no foreign entry/exit stamps.

can someone verify this?

usa doesn’t have an exit stamp and guess taiwan doesn’t care about entry stamps from other countries.

i may be in the same boat in the near future.

The US doesn’t care whether there are any stamps (or not) in your US passport. Europe doesn’t even stamp US passports anymore.

I think your mom just wants to go have fun. Don’t blow her cover.

For dual Canadian and Taiwanese babies (I was told today from the Trade office in Taipei - September 2014):
Leave and enter Taiwan on Taiwanese
Leave and enter Canada on Canadian

The very kind and helpful woman at the office said that Canadian customs will question you about why you are traveling with a non-Canadian baby if they enter on their Taiwanese passport. We don’t want any extra hassles after traveling so many hours, do we??

She also recommended that for the child’s Taiwanese passport, they have their Chinese name written in PinYin, followed by their English name. This is to avoid, again, any hassles or confusion. I assume this would help for the check in counter as well, just to be safe.

Out of curiosity, when you guys say “pinyin,” do you mean Hanyu Pinyin, like they use in China (e.g. Mao Zedong)? Or one of the alternative systems (e.g. Mao Tze-tung)?

One poster said they want to restrict romanizations, perhaps to a single system, but another got away with using a Japanese-derived romanization. Does it perhaps vary by office?

And is there any limit on the number of roman characters that the system can accommodate?

Usually, when unqualified by context, the term “pinyin” (in English) refers to Hanyu Pinyin.

As in 1. Name in Chinese
2. ‘HUANG, HSING PEI’ followed by
3. SHELBY HUANG

Also wondering about the character limit for the English name.

I know I’m reviving a REALLY old thread, but it’s the most relevant.

I just recently got my NWOHR passport, but I plan to formalize it by staying a year. I also want to be sure I can earn and redeem miles without having 2 accounts, especially since 6,800mi each way between LAX and TPE is almost half a domestic first class flight.

In order to properly earn miles without having 2 separate accounts (which hey, 6,800 miles each way is almost half a domestic first class flight), but also in compliance with Taiwanese laws (which if I’m reading it correctly, I’d have to present a TW passport for the proper exit stamp), can I just put my English name on the boarding pass since it’s already listed as an alias, or do I have to use my Mandarin name to exit and book the flight regardless?