Two sweet cats in need of a permanent home!

Please spread these posters around online or in real life (designed to print to A4 paper).

These cats are truly delightful little girls. More info and photos can be found on them here: http://gossycrafts.wordpress.com/adopt-our-foster-cats-taiwan-only/.

Giving this a bump. These are great cats. May be a little shy for a few days before their true character shines.

We’ve been fostering these girls since March and they’re still surprising us with new, adorable things. Shy at first, they’re now assertive, funny, and so cute it hurts sometimes. They would be amazing pets to have forever but we have to leave Taiwan in 5 weeks…

are these cats still available?

Oh, let it be a good story!

Yes, they are. Are you interested?

What is the requirement? I don’t really have money to pay for desexing and stuff but I have a year supply of cat food…

For fostering or adopting?

Adopting

Unfortunately, we ask an adoption fee to cover the usual expenses any responsible owner would incur, such as neutering, vaccinations, and microchip. As great a home as I’m sure you can provide, we do need to ensure that adopters have the financial means to care for cats, especially as medical issues can arise at any time.

So what is the adoption fee? Do you require bank statements, job slips, and a minimum income of some kind? Seems like a lot of bureaucracies just to own a cat.

I think it is reasonable that they want to ensure the adopter is not going to abandon the cats due to financial strain. If you can’t afford a simple and inexpensive de-sexing how can you afford any medical care in the future? So many pets get dumped when they become sick as the owners don’t want, or can’t (usually don’t want) to pay any expenses.

I’m not of course suggesting you would dump a pet, but if your finances are so straightened then perhaps you should reconsider at this time.

I think if the fee is reasonable (actual cost of mention thing) then it’s fine. To be honest after a statement “I have no money for desexing and stuff” I would worry if vaccinations, vet visits are also the “stuff”. So please don’t get mad for ppl asking about it, but I guess anyone would like to make sure their kitties are going to a good home :slight_smile:

Bump!

Look at these cats’ faces. Can you imagine them in your home or your friend’s home? Maybe even as a foster home for them to hang out at until the perfect forever home comes along?

this thread takes the cake

The OP said the cats were neutered. Then TL comes along saying he’ll adopt them and has a year’s worth of food. Instead of scaring him away, why don’t you work with him and solve any issues. Charging him a substantial (and unstated) fee to help out the kitties? Outrageous.
There are options:
-see what he can provide, and help him if need be, or help him plan for what extras need to be budgeted
-ask him to foster the cats for a while and keep posting for a longer term home

It could be that him fostering is the best solution, or maybe he can provide the stability needed in this situation to keep the cats permanently, regardless, scaring him away is self defeating.
You need to be open, transparent, and positive. The cats come first.

I haven’t gotten a PM on this matter… so my guess is it’s off the table and there’s no negotiation. I still don’t know what the fees are. Maybe I can come up with it, who knows? Look if you think given the current situation fostering is the best solution I’m up for that too.

I just PMed Taiwan Luthiers with better contact info about the cats than back and forth forum posting, so hopefully something more can develop behind the scenes.

The shelter to which they belong is a busy place with a lot of special needs animals. Emergencies seem to come up regularly, so direct contact is better than PMs on this site, I imagine. I’m just a lowly grad student so I can spend more time checking back here.

[quote=“Kea”]this thread takes the cake

The OP said the cats were neutered. Then TL comes along saying he’ll adopt them and has a year’s worth of food. Instead of scaring him away, why don’t you work with him and solve any issues. Charging him a substantial (and unstated) fee to help out the kitties? Outrageous.
There are options:
-see what he can provide, and help him if need be, or help him plan for what extras need to be budgeted
-ask him to foster the cats for a while and keep posting for a longer term home

It could be that him fostering is the best solution, or maybe he can provide the stability needed in this situation to keep the cats permanently, regardless, scaring him away is self defeating.
You need to be open, transparent, and positive. The cats come first.[/quote]

These are all good ideas, but these things aren’t within my rights regarding the animals. The cats come first, but they’re not my cats to make decisions about. The best that can be done is to contact the shelter again (PM me for phone numbers, I guess) and see what they say.

ETA: When my husband and I adopted cats from a shelter in America, we had to go through an hour long interview, including providing info on who would be able to take care of the animals in event of an emergency/our deaths. It was sobering, but I understand why they wanted to check up on our ability to care for the animals before sending them home with us.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea for Ex Animo to institute some kind of set interview proceeding to help make the adoption process more transparent and organized.

Most shelter pets have already had the sad experience of being separated from their beloved humans. We do ask questions, try to make sure the rehomed pets go to a safe, permanent place, to lessen the chance of it happening again.

Exactly. These cats were given up by someone leaving the country and had been in the shelter for a year. We offered them a temporary home to help get them socialized again, but could never offer them more than that due to the nature of our time in Taiwan.

They’d flourish in a permanent home, I know it. They get better with people every week they’re with us. Transitions are really hard on cats.