Types of companies in Taiwan

Hi, can anybody tell me what different types of companies there are in Taiwan, and what the process is to register a company?Also, i have an unused Close Corporation registered in South Africa, would i be able to trade under that company here?
Thanks.

You could set up a branch office or representative office of your foreign company. Or you could set up a local company. A company is usually a Limited Company or a Company Limited by Shares. Talk to an accountant like Ann Hu or Joseph Ni for more details or use the search function here to find the specific information you are interested in.

Hi
Thanks for the info. How could I get in touch with the accountants you mentioned? Are there only Ltd type companies here, it seems like there are no small business formats like closed corporations (i forgot what this type is called in the US)

I will set up a sticky with the information, once it’s been digged out of the pile in this forum.

“Ann Hu” email ulc@ms13.hinet.net

Taiwanese can register DBA / ‘trading as’ organisations but as far as I know foreigners are restricted to various types of limited companies. You would also not be able to do anything in Taiwan like set up a branch/representative office with a foreign company not limited by guarantee (ltd.)

Setting up legally in Taiwan is quite possible but can get complicated. Rather than waste your money on a CPA who will charge you big bucks to fill out a couple of forms I would suggest speaking to your local MOEA office (either in Taiwan or abroad - the foreign MOEA branches can be particularly helpful). As long as you present yourself as someone worth the effort they will sit down with you and go through all the options available, plus a list of things you need to provide for registration in Taiwan.