Typhoon: 2005 (Part 1)

I’ll be in Jilong, boat-watching. Anyone coming to help?[/quote]

To help with beer or the boat?

Pirates don’t drink beer. They drink rum, yo ho! But not when the wind is gusting 120 knots and trying to smash their vessel against the harbour wall. Standing up is hard enough in such a situation without help from Captain Morgan.

Oh that ain’t fun at all! I thought you’d be sitting on the shore and watching the boat :slight_smile:
I’m sorry but if I have to work, I’d rather do something I get paid for :wink:

here is the link to the national Taiwan weather service
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/index.htm
Typhoon will be here soon.
This is a great site with wave reports for us surfers, sat photos etc…

I’m going to the beach tomorrow - either Fulong or Baishawan, and bringing my boogie board. Anywone want to join me? :sunglasses:

So I’ve never been in a typhoon before and I’m not sure what to expect. Should I be stocking up on bottled water, candles or something? Also, I’m supposed to catch a flight on Wednesday 20th (China Airlines). Will the typhoon be over by then? Will my flight be cancelled? If I do fly should I plan on having my last rights read before boarding? On the satellite pictures that bitch looks about the size of Australia. :astonished:

The typhoon will be well gone by Wednesday. It can never hurt to have extra water, batteries and candles, and some food.

If you’re in Chupei, then you would also be well advised to stay close to home as the typhoon advances because the strongest winds are predicted by the JTWC website to be around your area and to the south on Monday.

Other than that, no big deal, and you’ll have lots to talk about when you go home.

:thanks: Ideally, I’ll have monday off to pack and clean house and then be (safely) on a plane Wednesday. But, no need to board windows or anything like they do back home during a hurricane? I’m on the tenth floor and it’s pretty windy up here on a normal day. Taiwan folk all seem so relaxed about the whole thing.

Well, Typhoon Haitang has been upgraded to a super typhoon, but it is predicted to lose some strength before hitting the east coast and then a lot more by the time it crosses the central mountain range. The CWB website now predicts the eye of the storm will pass very close to you, and Judging from the JTWC website, your area may encounter winds gusting to over 200kph.

However, if you are on the 10th floor, the effect is amplified and you could do worse than boarding your windows if you have the means to do so. Alternatively, find a friend who lives a little closer to earth and enjoy the ride with him/her.

What I would do, especially if the windows rattle in a scary way and sound like they are not quite up to the task, is have a safe room (no windows) to retreat to equipped with the stuff you need. Also be sure to wear shoes if things really start rocking, because broken glass is not user friendly.

I don’t mean to overstate the situation, however it has been a long time since a super typhoon came this close to Taiwan, and you should not mistake the complacency of some locals for being “relaxed”. There are far too many needless deaths when typhoons pass through here (usually along the shore and in the mountains). That said, the risk of anything happening to a sensible person is remarkably low.

If you are flying out on Wed you would do well to go to the bank machine today and make sure you have more than enough money for a taxi to the airport and such.

Hey! I was thinking of going to Fulong tomorrow too! My dog needs a trip to the beach, so does the big E, and so do I. What time?

(Continue this conversation in the events forum.

Silly me…I thought Typhoon Ma was about todays election… :unamused:

It’s a SUPER typhoon, and a direct hit!!! AAACK!!! OH MY GOD WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Well maybe not all of us, but judging from the latest forecasts, certainly some.

Back on the tall building theme, here’s what one US agency has to say:

(from www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/high_winds.shtml
inside www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml)

One thing I didn’t see while scanning this material is the danger of the eye of the storm: it can lull people into a false sense of security and some will brave going outside, only to hit by equally horrendous winds traveling in the opposite direction (in itself a source of considerable destructive potential).

Well for those living on the coast . . .

bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … GsIGA_5OMk

. . . well actually I doubt it is going to matter where you are at.

Don’t worry, when it floods you can catch nice big fat fish in the street and take them home to cook them. It happened in Donghu just last year!

Lol…I saw that last year too! I was driving my son to a birthday party and tried to turn onto KangNing before I realized it had turned into a raging river :astonished:

The CWB is now reporting that waves resulting from the typhoon system are hitting the east coast.

The JTWC predicts that winds near the eye will gust to 135 knots (250kph) upon landfall (probably at northern Hualien County early Monday afternoon). [edit: correction

I blame it on G. W. Bush.

Are your windows thick storm glass, or thin stuff like back home? Some folks put 2" wide masking tape in a big X on the window, so if it does break and come flying in, it tends to stay together in 1 piece, rather than forming small shards everywhere. That’s the theory anyway.

Here’s my routine, after 11 years here:
2 days before: buy extra dry and canned food to survive up to a week without power (as has happened about three times in my 11 years, incl. earthquakes and landslides taking out power); rush to do all the laundry and dry it; bring it in; clear junk from balconies; sweep balcony drains free of leaves.

1 day before: put fresh batteries in flashlights, placing one in each room; put batteries in radio, CD player, etc. Buy extra biandang, milk, beer. Buy or prepare extra potable water. If you think the wind noise will keep you up, get earplugs.

Did I mention extra beer? :smiley: :beer:

Then sit back and don’t worry. The buildings here are reinf-concrete, not like the flimsy wooden things back home. Just don’t go out during the high winds, even if the rain has paused, as flying signs and objects can kill. And don’t go out in the eye thinking the whole thing as passed.

Crap … I’m supposed to be flying out on Wednesday night. Crap.