You think too much :wink:

[quote]BEWARE OF THE GRUMP
[/quote]

I think weā€™ve just ran into her.

[quote=ā€œDangermouseā€][quote]BEWARE OF THE GRUMP
[/quote]

I think weā€™ve just ran into her.[/quote]

No kidding! :laughing:

ImaniOU, the JTWC site link has been posted over and over in the typhoon threads. The windspeeds are listed on their site. Iā€™ve repeatedly provided information on what those speeds mean (weā€™ve even had arguments about it, at length), on what the circles mean, on what the hatched area means. The JTWC site has links explaining the graphics too. If you read the info weā€™ve already provided, then Iā€™ll be happy to answer any additional questions you have. Hereā€™s the basic poop: cancel your Sunday plans. :wink:

What the f#@k does that mean?! Can someone please show me a map so I can understand what the h%$# is going on?! :fume:

double post

Ok, Iā€™ll play along ā€“ this time. Next time, itā€™s lederhosen and whips.

Here is the link to the JTWC:

http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html

Here is the link to the explanations of the graphics. Click on any part, and youā€™ll get a page explaining the chart:

http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/legend/graphic_key.html

Here is an example of the current info on soon-to-be typhoon Khanun, which sounds to me like the Thai word for jackfruit (but Iā€™ve not actually heard the real origin):

The numbers by each little happy circle thingie tell you the predicted position of the typhoon at a certain date and time; 10/00, for example, is Sept 10, at 00:00 hours (thatā€™s midnight) Zulu time. This, BTW, is the US Navy lingo, which goes to show you, affirmative action has gone a very long way! :sunglasses: Zulu time is 8 hours behind Taipei, so add 8 to this; the circle at that position is where the storm will be at 8am on Saturday, our time.

The center of the typhoon is at the center of the happy little circle thingies. The typhoon outside the biggest circle is just rain on and off, and a little wind. It

[quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€]

Any questions?[/quote]

Yeah, whenā€™s the next typhoon?

I donā€™t know you but that was a mighty fine (and funny) explanation there.

Thanks!!!

:slight_smile:

Thank you, Dragonbones. The only meaning I could derive from ā€œ9/12Z to 10/12Zā€ was that the typhoon was going to be around for a full month. Given the typical weather in Taipei, I would not be surprised.

I donā€™t have roommates. I guess Iā€™ll have to play naked twister by myself and hope I donā€™t lose.

Now see, if I knew that, I probably would have been a bit more worried about those last few typhoons. Good to know I wonā€™t die this timeā€¦does this mean I can take advantage of the storm surge and get in some good surfing up north?

I expect that since Sunday is out, Games Club will be moved to someoneā€™s house for another marathon of Settlers?

Iā€™ll bring the Kool-Aid.

will this thing be over by sunday night or is there a possibility of having a 3 day weekend?

Guys and girls there will be no typhoon holiday, simply because there wonā€™t be a typhoon ā€¦ Iā€™ll use my powers to push it north of Taiwan on a direct path to shanghai ā€¦ :laughing:

Imaniou ā€¦ I would play naked twister with you but Iā€™ve to work ā€¦ do I have to work? Probably, canā€™t close a business for a little piss storm, can I :wink:

looks that way when you check the forecasts. The US forecasters seems to have contradictions in their models regarding what happens after Saturday, so everything is possible.

would like that. However, I donā€™t think so, unless the typhoon slows down a fair bit. Based on current forecasts, the worst will be over Sunday noonish up here, and everything will be normal by Monday.

Thatā€™s quite enough glee from you lot at the prospect of yet another typhoon. Some of us enjoy our work and have things organised so that we do just the right amount.

Losing earnings to weather is not cool, and neither is losing play time. Will someone kill this thing before it buggers up my weekend?

Yipeeā€¦ weā€™re gonna have Saturday and Sunday off! :bouncy:

Oh, waitā€¦ :frowning:

No, just Sunday, methinks.

Mu colleagues are burning candles now for a ā€œMonday-offā€ now :laughing:

But I am still in the same troubleā€¦ no one proposed to help me to mop the water, aside Dragonbones who offered me a long haired dog :frowning:
I was honestly thinking something (someone) else :astonished:

And we have a TYPHOON!

My reading of the current JTWC forecast is:
The winds will pick up in blustery fashion mid to late Sat., with occasional brief rains. By Sat. eve we might get a few brief, heavy downpours. The storm will start building around midnight Sat., and it will be heavy by dawn; it will be closest to Taipei around noon Sun., but it will have already begun weakening greatly since landfall, and by 8am Mon. it should be distant and weak enough that there will be no Mon. holiday. Sorry.

Now that looks different:

npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/wp1505.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, Balazsā€¦

Yes, itā€™s shifting northward. The effect on Taipei remains about the same as the above forecast, but it means less misery for central Taiwan. If it remains over the ocean and passes just N. of Taipei, there should be less of a diminishing effect (due to landfall).