Typhoon 2008

I have to go down to Kaohsiung on Tuesday - it’d better not be near there or be affecting the HSR then.

Now they’re saying through the Phillipines and to Hong Kong.

Looks like it is coming straight up the island, with no mountain protection this time. hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos.htm
Hope its a small one!

It’s still pretty early, with plenty of chance for it to turn aside. :idunno: Different agencies have significantly different tracks forecast at this point. But now’s a good time to check your typhoon preparedness. If you’re new to the island you may want to read this thread.

Here’s the JTWC forecast of the moment:

I don’t care at all about all those horrible things others say about you, Dragonbones, you’re a good man in my book. And many thanks for helping me understand why today was the clearest day I’ve seen in months here in HK. Classic pre-phoon clear skies.

HG

That would be a wicked turn! I’m taking bets on Hong Kong.

I am asking all wise and knowing Forumosans for some advice. The Tai Tai and I are due to fly out of Taipei on Tues evening back to Old Blighty via Hong Kong. We are thinking about trying to get to Hong Kong early, but are not sure how early we should go. What would you wise men of the island do? Make a run for it tomorrow or sit it out and take the gamble? Damn Phoons!! :fume:

First and foremost, which airline? You don’t want to be on a fight where Ah Huang is mentally flipping between the financial status of the airline and the cost of landing elsewhere against the dangerous conditions he’s about to expose his passengers to by landing in HK in a typhoon.

HK airport is a perfect example of a “Chinese fire drill” when lots of flights are delayed due to weather. It’s chaotic as hell, and no one seems to know what’s going on.

HG

Well, I’m supposed to fly out on Wednesday (EVA, wouldn’t fly China Airlines if they were offering NT$1 tickets). I’m only here on a 30-day stay with passport, as the dolts at TECO in San Fran refused to give me a new visa in May when I went back to get documents officially approved for my university registration. I didn’t have my university acceptance letter in hand, just a verbal and an e-mail, and they said “NO!” So, now that I have the letter, I need to apply once again in Hong Kong, and the 25th marks my 30-day limit for this stay.

So, if my flight is cancelled because of the typhoon, will I be penalized for an overstay? Or do they actually understand these little “acts of nature” that we humans have no control over? If it were up to me, I’d definitely postpone the trip for finer weather!

:laughing: Aw, shucks.

No idea what they would say, but that won’t stop those of us who imagine ourselves wise to spout off anyway.

The thing is still pretty far away. Flights should be running Tuesday, no prob. Have a close look at this JTWC chart, and note the times associated with the dots representing the position of the center of the storm.

Add 8 hours to that to get local time. So the pink dot that says 24/00 is 8am Tuesday; the pink ring around it is the 34-knot (34 knots = 39 mph =63 kph) wind radius, so you can see that the wind speeds in Taipei and HK will be low and safe at that time.

But you never know when a typhoon will speed up or slow down in its path, or veer one way or the other. If you want to play it safe, try to get out Tues. morning instead of the evening. Or go Mon. evening, but that might be overkill. Up to you.

Thanks Dragonbones. You are indeed wise :wink: We are flying Cathay to HK and then the nightmare that is BA (Bloody Awful!) back to the UK. I’m already prepared to lose all our luggage in the shit heap that is Heathrow, but this Typhoon problem is a bit annoying. I think we will probably go down the Tues morning route unless something dramatically changes between now and then. I know for a fact though that if we miss our connection with BA, we may be waiting days for another flight, as all seem pretty full and I am not paying for an upgrade (stingy Yorkshireman). We only have a 2 week break so have to make that flight.

My first flight on the then new 777 of CX was on the way from HK back to TPE> And we flew thru a foon. Let me tell ya. I wont do that again.

Avoid that hassle. fly out on monday , be safe.

edit: flying anywhere near a foon is dangerous.

SQ lost that 747 in Taoyuan. Many died.

CAL lost a 747 400 in HK kaitak during landing (no deaths or injuries)

CAL lost a MD11 trying to land at the new HK airport CHep Lap Kok. 3 dead and couldve lost a lot more.

and p.s.
Dont these guys know you shouldnt sail on the waters when theres a foon about???

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080622/ts_ … ather_dc_5

[quote=“tommy525”]Dont these guys know you shouldnt sail on the waters when theres a foon about???

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080622/ts_ … ather_dc_5[/quote]

B-b-but it’s ok if Fate is on your side, right? :s

Damn, I clearly said “not intervier with our flight on Tuesday evening”. That looks like a pretty close thing, flying out of Taoyuan at 19:20 to HK and than at 23:00 from HK to Frankfurt. I really hope that thing is a bit slowing down, just to be on the safe side please.

Oh, and flying on CX that is.

Between, I tried my bookmark with the joint typhoon warning centre and it doesn’t work, did they change their website?

Yeah, I’m having the same trouble. Try this:
205.85.40.22/jtwc.php

Let us know if it works.

Yeah, I’m having the same trouble. Try this:
205.85.40.22/jtwc.php

Let us know if it works.[/quote]

yes, your link works and goes to the same page than this link which I just found a bit earlier: http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc.php

Flying anywhere, any time with CAL is dangerous. :noway:

I don’t think Feng-Shen is coming after all. It’s swirling away like a madman, but it’s going to go west more than north. First bluff typhoon of the year, I’m calling it!

That newest predction look like it will be right between Taoyuan and HK when we have our flight (19:20 departure, 21:00 arrival) but the flight to Europe should be fine than, if we make it to HK in the first place.

I say we get Wednesday off! :smiley:

(Oh, and death and destruction and extremely high vegetable prices for the next few weeks.)