Typhoon 2014

[quote=“Icon”]Local TVBS weather guy -really old fellow, white hair and all- was showing a low pressure system that is expected to at least become a severe storm, path closing to Taiwan from Guam area. But formation is slow, expected to hit next week. Meanwhile, wait and see. And start squirreling necessary items: food, drinks, entertainment.

Don’t shoot poor Jesus hopes just yet!

BTW, we need to move the links to typhoon info to this thread. I have a feeling this will be a very active summer, given the amount of flooding with just “simple” thunderstorms lately here.[/quote]

Apparently august is set to be an active month, my wife told me that because we didn’t have any thunderstorms on a particular day last week we can expect up to 9 more typhoons this summer.

Icon, do you recall where you saw or heard such an announcement? (I suspect you may have mistaken a speculative comment for an announcement or heard/saw part of some general report about probabilities at various times of the year that gave rise to the idea that there was a possibility of a strong storm at this time)[/quote]

More on Icon’s scoop: as you can confirm for yourselves, the information from TVBS was/is correct as regards the low pressure being there, somewhere southeast of Guam, and also as regards the possibility of it becoming a cyclone (typhoon) - in fact, JTWC now carries a related “Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert” (see the link from usno.navy.mil/JTWC/ ).

The problem (one of the “cry wolf” kind) is that even at this time it is not at all obvious whether/that the cyclone, once it has formed, will head to Taiwan. I have rather mixed feelings about these kinds of announcements: on one hand i think for certain people and organisations it is important to have information as early as possible (a few i can think of are farmers, airline companies, shipping companies, the military, etc.), but it is easy to get mislead or overexcited if tentative information is presented as anything else - and subsequently that kind of frequent stimulation makes people insensitive. The average citizen has little to gain from hearing that there might be typhoon forming and that this typhoon might be coming our way possibly next week - this is standard (basic) information for the next 4 months, whether or not there is any specific low pressure system in a given location. IOW, preparation is called for because at this time of the year there is ALWAYS the possibility of a typhoon getting close to us. :slight_smile:

In the next few days we’ll work on concentrating and updating the information that Dragonbones and others have provided at
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … =8&t=46197

:ohreally:
:wink:

PS: Did you know that typhoons suck? They do, just not as strongly as tornadoes, so you might not notice it… :popcorn:

The definitive thing is: has anyone checked the typhoon grass blades? What did they say?

I am curious, too: did anybody hear them whisper “el nino”, by chance…?

New says this typhoon is not likely to hit Taiwan (rather go at Japan) but we will feel a change in weather (will be more windy?).

Of course there will be mega typhoon in August, because I’m flying then, so obviously the Mother Nature will be kind enough to make sure my stress levels go crazy up. :confused:

Yep, heavy rain starting this afternoon, color me surprised… not!

as per CNA:

[quote]Taipei, July 4 (CNA) A tropical depression near Guam has developed into a tropical storm and may begin to affect Taiwan by Monday, the Central Weather Bureau said Friday.

Neoguri, the eighth storm in the region this year, was centered 2,700 km southeast to Taiwan’s southernmost tip of Eluanbi early Friday, moving northwest at a speed of 19 kilometers per hour. Maximum sustained winds were 18 meters per second, with gusts of up to 25 meters per second, the weather bureau reported.

Although the storm is forecast to swerve to north toward Japan, its outer bands are likely to bring rain to the Taiwan, especially the northern and eastern areas, starting Monday when the system is expected to move within 700-800 km of the island, forecasters said.

The bureau has advised that people planning to travel to Japan after Tuesday check their flights in case of cancellations. [/quote]

When it’s there it’s there:
cwb.gov.tw/V7e/prevent/typhoon/ty.htm?

Well, that escalated quickly. From just a tropical storm to a Category 4, Neoguri’s speed increased by 100mph in the past 48 hours.

I sure hope all those forecasts are right, and that it does veer off its current path. Stay safe, Okinawa!

still heading Japan, right? no work-free days?

Typhoon Neoguri:
wunderground.com/hurricane/w … on-Neoguri

Typhoon is coming. All you naysayers, buckle up.

Nah, that one’s not coming. Trajectory. Been here for too many years to believe most typhoons vaguely in the region will come and smack us. Most veer away and out than ever hit.

Won’t hit directly, but yes bring a lotta rain. And this friggin heat is the appetizer. I can imagine the typhoon sucking all moisture in the region to invigorate itself.

East of the mountains we are in “typhoon mode” now - the wind direction has changed:
last night it was still roughly southeast (regular summer weather),
and this morning it is roughly northeast (as the cyclone dictates).
Also, since the wee hours, the wind has been getting stronger…

I know it’s not supposed to hit us directly, but it looks big and majestic, so I can’t help myself from watching at the maps as it gets closer. I think east part can be affected quite a bit~

I work 50 meters from the sea in Yilan, the sky has a beautiful blue color and the wind is starting to pick up. When I went to work this morning (7/7.30) it was still hot with no wind.
According to most reports Taiwan should be fine, just an extra chance of rain and wind gusts starting between tonight and tomorrow.

there’s a lot of rain predicted for the next week after this typhoon passes

Ther’s a lot of rain now :S I can’t take the bike for going to work…

I’ve already told you: you need a new bike! :discodance:

Interesting weather here near SuAo: rain, followed by heavy rain, followed by few minutes of sun, blue sky in the distance, then heavy rain again…it’s been like that since 8.30, luckily I arrived at work at 7.50 so I’m now enjoying the view xD