Typhoon and so

Today the government publishes the following announcement:

Keelung City Work and Classes Cancelled This Afternoon from 2:00 p.m.
Taipei City Work and Classes Cancelled This Afternoon from 2:00 p.m.
New Taipei City Work and Classes Cancelled This Afternoon from 2:00 p.m.
Taoyuan County Work and Classes Cancelled This Afternoon from 12:00 p.m.

cpa.gov.tw/ndse.html

But some companies must have access to a more detailed version, otherwise I don’t understand why:

a) I’m told at office that “those who live far from the office, it’s optional for them to start to pack their things starting at 2:00 PM and then go home, if they don’t have many things to finish, because there are many projects ongoing now”
b) my gf is told at the office that “if you want to go home at 2:00 PM you have to take half day off”

I have asked my gf for her company’s address and name/Id, because I really want to call the labor bureau and send them a friendly inspection, but she doesn’t want to give me those details. What surprises me is that nobody else here have the same ideas, it must be that I’m a dangerous anarchist who’s always fighting the comprehensive system that… companies seem to have made up, against what the law says.

Those cancellations are for govt offices etc. It’s optional for private businesses, although they can’t penalize anyone who doesn’t go to work under a warning.

That means: nobody goes home until the boss or supervisor says so.

:sunglasses:

More reasons why Taiwan has such a dynamic economy these days. :unamused:

[quote=“jesus80”]

I have asked my gf for her company’s address and name/Id, because I really want to call the labor bureau and send them a friendly inspection, but she doesn’t want to give me those details. What surprises me is that nobody else here have the same ideas, it must be that I’m a dangerous anarchist who’s always fighting the comprehensive system that… companies seem to have made up, against what the law says.[/quote]

Nooooo, you’re just the foreign troublemaker that does not understand “how things work in Taiwan”. When the company says “do A” you do “A” and shut up! Labor bureau?? Pffffft!

I am the kind of asshole that makes troubles everywhere, every now and then :slight_smile:

But I still think that to complain is a legit way of changing something. :smiley:

Or get fired.

I think cfi summed this up by saying that the closings are for gov’t employees and schools only. The service industries ignore the closures also so it’s not a rigid rule.

[quote=“Abacus”]Or get fired.

I think cfi summed this up by saying that the closings are for gov’t employees and schools only. The service industries ignore the closures also so it’s not a rigid rule.[/quote]

Yeah, or get fired.

But cfi didn’t say exactly that. He also said that any worker can leave the office and companies can not punish them or force them to take a half day off, which is the case of my girlfriend.

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Abacus”]Or get fired.

I think cfi summed this up by saying that the closings are for gov’t employees and schools only. The service industries ignore the closures also so it’s not a rigid rule.[/quote]

Yeah, or get fired.

But cfi didn’t say exactly that. He also said that any worker can leave the office and companies can not punish them or force them to take a half day off, which is the case of my girlfriend.[/quote]

I believe in Taiwan this is considered optional even if it’s the law.

Also, the punishment will come in a way that is unrelated to the typhoon. Delayed promotions, little to no salary increase, being on top of the “people soon to fire” list…

The private worker can take the time off according to the advisory issued. They cannot be officially punished but we know how things can work here.

I have used the labor government a couple of times and it did work. I won’t take any shit even if it means I get fired.