Typhoon days and WFH

The article was pretty clear it was forbidden, not a recommendation. Read it again:

依本要點第六條規定:如果勞資雙方原本約定的工作地點是在公司,資方想在颱風停班期間改變為居家工作模式,除非原來就有約定雇主可以如此指定工作地點,否則必須 (must) 與勞工協議同意放得為之。

Didn’t say you were. See below.

It’s not forbidden. Read it again. It says “否則必須與勞工協議同意方得為之。” - they cannot force you to work from home. You don’t have to agree to work from home, but they are certainly not forbidden to ask.

Exactly what I said.

I meant they aren’t allowed to expect it of you. Of course it’s not against the law just to ask the question.

The worst part was, when the typhoon day was declared (9 or 10 pm), we were told to come back into the office and take our laptops and any equipment we needed back home.

That’s ridiculous. I would have ignored my phone and pretended I was at the movie theater or something.

I would tell them I was already in bed with my phone on “do not disturb”. My phone does automatically turn on “do not disturb” at 8:30pm. Any contact people try to make with me after 9pm better be an emergency. “You can’t physically come to work tomorrow because the government declared a typhoon day so come get your stuff so you can work from home” is not an emergency. That’s poor planning on the part of the boss and asking someone to work outside of the agreed upon hours. If my boss gave me crap for informing him that I go bed at a reasonable hour instead of running around town trying to get my work for tomorrow prepared at the last second, it would be time for me to get my resume nicely updated.

1 Like

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to expect employees to work from home during a typhoon day, if possible.