Typhoons 2016

Pity anyone having to go to work in this. Fortunately me office is 6 feet from my bedroom. :sunglasses:

yes, only Lanyu is cancelled work and class (so far)

Is your job title, “Pimp”? :ponder:

Pity anyone having to go to work in this. Fortunately me office is 6 feet from my bedroom. :sunglasses:[/quote]

I feel I might have been a bit premature in that post. Its now bright sunshine on my balcony. Aren’t I a giddy goat?

Blue sky now, looks like a perfect day.

Is this going to be worse than Souledor? Or whatever that big one in August was called. I live on the top floor and that was evil. I thought the whole house would blow away. I looked at the map, looks like it will slam straight into the island this afternoon.

I will visualize it swinging North and missing the island. Can’t hurt to try.

During the night Nepartak went through an eyewall replacement.
The good news: it lost a bit of intensity.
The bad news: it’s a very well defined typhoon, so dry air will not impact it a lot during the rest of his course and is not likely to lose much intensity now.
Other bad news: waters between Nepartak and our coast are very warm and will keep feeding it.

There are still many hours to go, but it looks like it could be worse than last year’s typhoons, especially for the South. Taidong and Hualien are in for a rough time :confused:

:astonished:

Had a sun shower here in Zhong Shan at around 9AM this morning.

The scooter to work saw bright skies and normal day heading west, but in the rear view it seemed like Mordor was spreading it’s arms out across Taipei.

Keep an eye on CWB.
Lanyu off.
Taidong and Hualien off from 4pm, some areas of Hualien off from this morning.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]During the night Nepartak went through an eyewall replacement.
The good news: it lost a bit of intensity.
The bad news: it’s a very well defined typhoon, so dry air will not impact it a lot during the rest of his course and is not likely to lose much intensity now.
Other bad news: waters between Nepartak and our coast are very warm and will keep feeding it.

There are still many hours to go, but it looks like it could be worse than last year’s typhoons, especially for the South. Taidong and Hualian are in for a rough time :/[/quote]

Yep, it means winds category 16 -so far- instead of 17 -Soudelor.

It rained on Bobby and me during our morning walk. But then it turned sunny. Normal typhoon weather.

My Singapore pal has an 11am flight to Taipei. I think he will make it to his hotel…but told him to bring instant noodles. It looks as if he won’t be able to stick his nose out the window tonight.

Time to clear balcony drains, move plants off balconies and sweep the balconies clean of leaves and debris. If you don’t, you may wake up to a flooded apartment. Store some water, in case the power goes off or the water ends up turbid like previously.

[quote=“Icon”]

.[/quote]

Soudelor:

Nepartak:

Wind values at 07/12z:
Soudelor: 120 kts sustained, 140 kts gusts
Nepartak: 140 kts sustained, 170 kts gusts

This is Soudelor’s big brother.

Does anyone know when peak intensity hits? My gf is told to go into work today, but that seems crazy if she finishes at 9:30pm.

With Souledor I remember it was dangerous for about 12 hours during the night.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”]Does anyone know when peak intensity hits? My gf is told to go into work today, but that seems crazy if she finishes at 9:30pm.

With Souledor I remember it was dangerous for about 12 hours during the night.[/quote]

They are telling us to go home early. Meaning out by 5pm and we will make it home by the hair of a bald frog.

They should release her earlier - afternoon will start raining and then between that and the wind it will be a nightmare to get home. Touchdown on the East Coast predicted at 8pm -as per not so latest news, so I might be wrong, could be earlier.

looks like it will settle in on Taiwan for about 18-24 hours, as the typhoon will be in just the right place for the main structure to still be over the sea all around Taiwan (and thus still generating spin) for at least that long. In the center, in the mountains, no wind at all, but doubtless you’ll all get quite a bit wet.

good luck!

annoyingly the swell never made it up this far (Okinawa) so the expected surf bonanza has fizzled out.

I just got back from Pongso no Tao (Lanyu) on Tuesday. I was originally set to return on Wednesday, but due to the typhoon all boats are canceled from Wednesday to the end of this weekend. So I had to leave Pongso no Tao early. My boat, train, THSR tickets and reservations were instantly invalid. I had to be on the waiting list to get on the boat, even though I called ahead and was assured my tickets were rescheduled to Tuesday. The person in charge at the pier said they didn’t have rescheduling information with them, and they were just going to do a first come first serve thing. So everyone had to stand by the pier for 2 hours, first under torrential downpour, immediately followed by the blazing sun, just hoping they can get on the boat.

The lines were long at the train station as well. I tried the e-counter and couldn’t get a seat. I thought I might as well wait in line and try my luck. After another hour standing in line, I magically got a seat back to Taipei. If I didn’t get that ticket, I would have to stand for another 4 hours back to Taipei.

Amazingly, even as tourists already on the island were trying to get off the island, other tourists were still pouring in. I wonder what they plan to be doing today, with a frigging Typhoon right on top of them.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“Icon”]

.[/quote]

Soudelor:

Nepartak:

Wind values at 07/12z:
Soudelor: 120 kts sustained, 140 kts gusts
Nepartak: 140 kts sustained, 170 kts gusts

This is Soudelor’s big brother.[/quote]

Goodbye my dear tree

:cry:

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“HenHaoChi”]Does anyone know when peak intensity hits? My gf is told to go into work today, but that seems crazy if she finishes at 9:30pm.

With Souledor I remember it was dangerous for about 12 hours during the night.[/quote]

They are telling us to go home early. Meaning out by 5pm and we will make it home by the hair of a bald frog.

They should release her earlier - afternoon will start raining and then between that and the wind it will be a nightmare to get home. Touchdown on the East Coast predicted at 8pm -as per not so latest news, so I might be wrong, could be earlier.[/quote]

Thx. This makes sense to me. I hope she gets released early…

so… who had the best prediction?

First country to predict Nepartak cutting through Taiwan was Hong Kong on the 4th of July

Way to go Hong Kong!

[quote=“hansioux”]so… who had the best prediction?

First country to predict Nepartak cutting through Taiwan was Hong Kong on the 4th of July

Way to go Hong Kong![/quote]

They won! Though their trajectory is quite a bit off! (luckily for me, that path would have been a nightmare for Yilan)