Typhoons 2017

100 mil in Pingdong in the last hour - that’s a serious red flag

what is “mil”?

millimiters of rain

4 inches - in an hour!

Make that 115 mil in hour in Pingdong!

They seem to be in the feed-in stream from the TD to the south west

Plenty more where that came from as well

Watch out if you’re in the Pingdong area - flash-flooding and landslides are likely if it continues at that rate

Edit: 138 mil for Pingdong in the last hour!!!

1 Like

Well, I was right for Taipei anyway. Just got back from an hour of exercise in the park. Only got barely sprinkled on once. Glad for that because the more I hear about Nesat seems like not much chance tomorrow. Next, I need to move the scooter under roof somewhere and stock up on supplies.

If you’re in Taidong, relax, it’s basically over (unless you live next to a river connected to the central range in Pingdong)

For a while it looked like it could possibly miss Taiwan all together but it seems to be heading more north west now

154 mm for Nanzhou, Pingdong in the last hour!

That is a phenomenal amount of rain in one hour and will definitely be causing destruction

Edit: 166 mil in Xinpi, Pingdong!

I’m not used to the precipitation chart being led by Pingdong, with no mention of Yilan. We need to pick up the slack!

TV news showing flooding in Pingtung city and reports of people trapped coming in. Hundreds already without power due to the wind.

But windy in Xindian but nothing extraordinary…yet.

I can see you’re getting big rain in Ilan but Pingdong holds the whole top-ten at the moment - must be crazy there

Edit:

178 mil in Xinpi, Pingdong! In an hour!

That is totally fucking nuts and it’s a disaster in progress

I’m flying into Taoyuan tomorrow from Jakarta, any chance it’ll be delayed or cancelled? :weary:

Yes, there’s a good chance Taoyuan airport will be flooded though the peak impact will likely be tonight

2 Likes

Shit, I have no pizza.

So far as Taipei goes - it will be all the usual suspects:

Keelung, Xijhih, Taoyuan, Danshui, Wanli on the front-line

as well as mountainous areas like Wulai and Hsin-dien

But anywhere in Taipei is liable to cop huge rain

Coming down hard in Taipei City now. Lucky I got the perfect exercise window in.

Me neither! I’m sure Pizza Hut & Dominoes will still deliver. There ought to be a law against making those kids deliver in typhoon conditions.

CWB is reporting a current top wind speed of 173kph - so if the delivery guy has got a tail wind then the service should be fast!

Pinglin, Taipei county has finally snatched a place off Pingdong in the rainfall top ten with 55 mil - that could be an indication it’s about to ramp up in Taipei

Still bucketing down in Pingdong with an astonishing 150 mil in the last hour and a total of 466 in just over 4 hours

There is.