Typhoons 2017

A week ago there were torrential rains in China and a fit of a typhoon by Japan. As you gusy have pointed out, all the action is practically down the Antartic, which is supposedly winter.

With such a high buildup of temperatures, what can be expected next?

Typhongeddon?

Dujuan* in September 2015 packed quite a punch.

• = spelling, too many random letters in that name

How early are typhoons usually spotted? I mean, on roughly average, how many days are there between first information of ā€œthere is typhoon/tropical storm/tropical depression formingā€ and landfall?

Too many factors are involved. The amount of time between an invest and its upgrade to typhoon-status can be anything between 2 weeks and 36 hours. Just now in the middle of the Ocean there was typhoon Banyan that took less than 2 days from birth to become a typhoon.

For Taiwan, Iā€™d say ON AVERAGE we get 5/7 days of notice, because most of the typhoons that reach us form around Guam and need a few days to reach us.
Then there are cases when a typhoon is supposed to miss Taiwan, then makes a sudden turn and we get rekt with little notice.

1 Like

I think the southern ocean is pretty much always windy. Archivo:Global Annual 10m Average Wind Speed.png - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

1 Like

Cool, thanks for reply.
I have flight soon and Iā€™m afraid that with my luck the non-typhoon days of typhoon season will end right before my departureā€¦
Maybe itā€™s better to burn some inceses in Mazu shrine before itā€™s too late!

Rule #1 of the Typhoon thread: you never mention imminent flight plans

Rule #2 of the Typhoon thread: you never mention imminent flight plans

Invest 92W just showed up.

3 Likes

Damn, this should be stickied or sth

1 Like

Youā€™re right, I should probably edit the first post and add the list of basic rule for this thread.

Unfortunately now itā€™s too late, the God of Spinning Winds has been summoned. Iā€™m just His messenger.

Sooo how do the prayer words go?

ā€œDear God of Spinning Things,
please go blow Japan instead.
They have nicer coastline anyway.ā€

Good enough?

He just told me your impious prayer reminded Him that weā€™ve not had a Category 5 typhoon yet this year.

Looks like a bit of a production line building up in the old Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone

CWB has two potential typhoons heading vaguely our way over the next week

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/satellite/Data/stp/stp-2017-08-18-07-30.jpg

Two typhoons during the Universide would be the ultimate middle finger

Mother nature must really hate Taiwan if that happens.

There would have to be a question mark over the scheduling of the event - I mean if you were deliberately trying to have it disrupted by a typhoon, then the second half of August would be almost your best bet

And if no typhoons then youā€™ve just got dangerously hot weather

Invests 92W and 93W could be annoying for us. The main models disagree completely on the outcomes, though. For GFS 92W will be nothing, while 93W will become a typhoon following a similar path of one from last month.
For ECMWF 92W will be a typhoon passing between us and the Philippines, while 93W will fade out.

Itā€™s fair to assume I should use some HAPPENING gif, but with forecasts being so far from each other Iā€™ll hold on.

Yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure she voted for the Lien kidā€¦

CWB has a system that could threaten Taiwan as early as Monday night

Itā€™s nothing much at the moment but bears watching

Hasnā€™t been named yet, but itā€™s right on our doorstep, it has a healthy poleward outflow and there appears to be a massive amount of rain in itā€™s wake that will be dragged across southern Taiwan

If anyone is heading south for a holiday then you might want to pay attention to how this unfolds