Typhoons 2018

yes, it’s not common for typhoons to reach taiwan from the south-west. When it happens it’s usually a typhoon that turns northward after the Luzon strait, and by that point they’ve already weakened.

How long ago was Nari?

This next one is starting to look a bit more like a mid-coast Taiwan landing around midnight Saturday, according to ECMWF model on WIndy.

ECWMF:

GFS:

As usual, GFS forecasts an extinction level event, while for ECMWF it looks like a fart. Still way too early though.

FYI some farts can be extinction level events. Especially in elevators. My neighbor picks the worst time and place for his extinction level events.

"A tape might exist of Trump doing something in an elevator, though exactly where that somewhere is and what that something might be, no one in media can say. That’s because no one in media seems to have seen the tape — or is even confident it exists. "

BAH GAWD, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

I usually do it on the bed before going to sleep, to assert dominance. My wife doesn’t always appreciate it but that’s the life she choose.

2 Likes

Oh god, did you just bring the orange headed monster into the typhoon thread?

1 Like

My wife’s not orange…

…she would be if you dipped her in, um, béarnaise sauce.

That gives me an idea for tonight’s after dinner.

JOINT TYPHOON WRNCEN PEARL HARBOR HI

THE POTENTIAL FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL
CYCLONE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS IS HIGH

Go tropical depression 94w, I believe in you!

Nice curved ball!

Hard left baby come on spinny spinny god give it to us again! Right through Taoyuan!

Too early. It’ll hover for a while out in the Pacific, before making a tight swing on Taiwan. I’ve got a flight next Thursday, and a typhoon the day before or of my flight is traditional.

1 Like

It happened before, it will happen again. The only question is: are typhoons a patriarcal social construct?

Dutch oven?

I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean…

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm=Dutch%2BOven&amp=true

Lying on your back in bed on a cold winter morning, fill the covers with your own hot gasses. Arrange the sheets in such a way as to create a flue or exhaust channel towards your significant other. Simultaneously lift both arms straight up slowly to draw in more air. Finally, let the covers fall rapidly to expel a rush of hot gasses (and BO) up the flue toward your unsuspecting loved one.

Historically, “Dutch Ovens” were preheated brick cooking ovens in which the heated bricks constructing the walls would do the cooking. This modern adaptation approximates the warm rush of heat and aromas that blast you in the face when opening an oven door.
Don’t forget to declare “dutch oven” and remember; practice makes perfect.
After my last Dutch Oven, I find myself sleeping alone.

This typhoon thread just keeps getting weirder.

By the way, why is the projected track I’m seeing nothing like what was shown above?

https://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/prevent/typhoon/ty.htm?

Today I learned a lot. Thanks!

They’re different: the track on CWB is the one on its way to Vietnam, we don’t care about that one.
The one I posted above is now named Tropical Depression 12W and may have some impact on Taiwan, but it’s still a bit early to make any calls.

1 Like