Typhoons 2018

reservoiairiri

considering we’ve had a fairly quiet Summer, these water levels look pretty good.

Too windy. Today it’s too windy…

Typhoon Yutu turned Pongsa no Tao into Pandora… The wind is so strong the waterfall went back up the cliff.

https://youtu.be/YSeDnTvKVDw

3 Likes

What or where is that?

Sorry, typo. Pongso no Tao. It’s Tao name for Lanyu.

Stuff like this reminds me (as a sometimes jaded long-term resident) that Taiwan is awesome.

Guy

This is for you know who. Suck it Japan!

https://youtu.be/ZPn3MBNt7Rc?t=31

1 Like

I’m pleased to report that the weather was beautiful in Donggang for the Boat Burning. Whatever remained of Typhoon Yutu had no impact. It’s the fifth time I’ve attended the triennial festival, and the weather has always been wonderful.

3 Likes

And approximately the sixth time that I’ve heard about it later, and thought “Damn, I need to go to that next time!” Do you just mark your calendar for every three years? Or is there some site of Taiwan events that I should know about?

(This site needs a new Mucha Man.)

2 Likes

I keep it in mind that it’ll take place around October every three years, and a few months before then I start researching which dates it will take place. The date is chosen by the gods. The burning always takes place early on a Sunday morning… the gods are kind!

2 Likes

Sunday

6 Likes

spooky…

what a disappointing year.

2 Likes

Why did you wake me up? For a non-typhoon?

Yes. Gotta share the pain.

ps: not going to happen, but it’s fun to see a spinning thing close to December.

Happened before, even in December.

Bopha

Durian

Winnie

It’s like an early Christmas miracle!

Even though this will be disappointing beyond belief, which means this “typhoon” will be like receiving an early Christmas gift that you don’t like from your girlfriend/wife and then you also find out that it was actually a gift for one of her ex boyfriends but she recycled it to you.

What a great name. Looking forward to typhoon betel nut.

Dragon-eye (longan) would be better.