Animals— two by two.
Waterfally
Landslidy
Waterfall
Then stop putting your shit in the ground.
We’ve either just had an earthquake or the last big gust has shaken the building ![]()
Yeah that was a bad gust. Bits of roof flying round my balcony.
Not my stuff I just lives here. I think it’s why I’m so calm. ![]()
Oh we been shaking for a while now
The Taipei City Government helped coordinate with the organizer to have it cancelled. But yeah… initially the organizer said it would be held rain or shine until the gov intervention.
If that is the same concert you are talking about.
I had a Riverdance showed booked for tonight, KHAM where quite prompt and issued a statement last night saying it would be cancelled and fully refunded.
快訊/瞬間陣風17級 強颱「康芮」吹垮板橋慈惠宮牌樓 | 記者爆料網|新聞
Temple in BanQiao getting it, must be out of favour!
The actual windspeed is not the problen, its the direction and gusts. Direction seems to be 38 knots from 60 degrees, so that’s fine, but the gusts cause the drama.
Is it gauche to ask about likelihood of closures tomorrow?
Forecast looks to be the storm will fade fast around midnight - but the decision will be made earlier tonight, when the winds and rain are about at their worst. Tomorrow morning in Taipei area looks to be moderate rain, OK wind but still occasional strong gusts.
Personal bias is I teach first thing in the morning and the way I spend my evening would be quite different if I knew whether I were working tomorrow or not. But I guess many of us are in the same boat.
I suppose may as well make my guess … closure tomorrow for the north, but one that turns out to be unnecessary. I can imagine they’re skittish after the Friday reopening a few weeks ago turned out awful for some northern parts of the country, with the flooding in areas like Jinshan and Shimen. (And when the two actual typhoon days turned out unnecessary in Taipei, and the third day, when we were all back, probably should have been a typhoon day.)
For actual effect, I think it depends how it hits when it’s in the strait, and also how long is stays there. I’m not sure if being ‘behind’ the path of the eye has less or greater storm coverage. We are lucky to be mostly surrounded by mountains. Wouldn’t surprise me if it speeds on through and is well on its way to Japan by tomorrow afternoon.
As for the call, wouldn’t surprise me if they play it safe. The typhoon won’t even start clearing out until after midnight, best case scenario. Putting that much faith in the weather forecast to be correct on timing and path and then locking in that decision the day before seems like a bad idea. Typhoons are only somewhat predictable, it would not be good for TPC/NTPC if it decides to stop in the strait or around the north of Taiwan.
Yeah, that’s my logic at the moment too. We’ll find out in a few hours.
My cats are certainly more than ready for this wind to quiet down. Haven’t seen them this agitated in a while.
EDIT: I know they’ve made past decisions in the morning to close in the afternoon - surely they wouldn’t reverse it, would they? Announce a morning closure, but afternoon pending?
Yup.
At least so far, this storm is clipping along. More of this, please!
Guy
Definitely better than the worrying and unpredictable meander of a few weeks ago.
Waiting for the 8 o’clock typhoon closure page to refresh really brings me back to my childhood.
I’d eagerly watch the local news at 6 am praying my school’s name would appear on the scrolling list of Snow Day closures. It’s just a day off, but something still feels special about it compared to normal holidays or the weekend.
