Typing Chinese; people think I'm a fake

Recently I’ve been using some online dating apps and websites, because I’m a bit lonely and I work extremely long hours.

Something that’s really bothering me is that many people think I’m a fake if I type Chinese. They think I’m a Taiwanese guy using a fake photo of a foreigner.

I get a lower response rate if I initiate contact in English, but If I type in Chinese, about half the people suspect me of having a fake account. I got people telling me;
因為以你的中文流利程度來說,
與照片中的人物不符

And I’ve had other people telling me that, no, foreigners definitely cannot type Chinese, so therefore you are a phoney.

Just say you will say hi on webcam to prove it. No problem.

Women don’t “cam” random dudes. It’s not really good manners, and also it’s not safe for the girl because the guy might show his broomstick or do something else weird.

I know, right? Taiwanese girls are totally allergic to housework.

Something similar happened to me a few years back. I can type, but I’m a bit slow, and presumably my grammar and phrasing is a bit odd. I’d already said I was a foreigner, so please excuse my crappy Chinese. At some point she asks where what I do, and I say I’m an English person posted here to work with for xyz company.

• Oh, you’re a foreigner.
  • Yes.
  • Oh, really, I thought you were a Taiwanese person who couldn’t speak Chinese very well.
  • … :eh:

As for people who simply don’t believe you can speak Chinese … well, is it really worth continuing the conversation? Seems like a pretty good screening technique for weeding out the mouthbreathers.

I speak pretty well, but I can’t read or write a bit so I’m always impressed with foreigners who have taken the time to learn how to read, write / type fluent Chinese. If anybody is going to give you static about a skill you have, is it worth wasting another second speaking to them? There’s a lot of people who feel jealous when confronted with a talented person and they have a burning desire to somehow try to belittle it. Ignore em, there’s a lot of girls who would be impressed by your Chinese. :2cents:

Yeah there’s a lot of people who see a foreigner with decent Chinese as a challenge to them. Which is really strange in my opinion…,

But there are people who will happily converse without any awkwardness, stick to them!

In the meantime, consider it a compliment on your Chinese writing skills.

women don’t? oh dayum. guess they were robots or ladyboys or something…

Sigh…the amount of time I spend proving that I am really, me.

It’s a natural filter.

I tried, and failed, with many, many girls during my first year here. I think they all found me weird for being able to speak Chinese and not acting (or looking) the way they imagined an American would be. A number of girls even insisted on speaking to me in broken English even though my Chinese is functionally fluent.

But when I found the right one, that was that. I’m not interested in anyone who sees me as a foreigner first and a human being second. My gf and I have been together for four happy years now and are getting married in May. :rainbow:

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]It’s a natural filter.

I tried, and failed, with many, many girls during my first year here. I think they all found me weird for being able to speak Chinese and not acting (or looking) the way they imagined an American would be. A number of girls even insisted on speaking to me in broken English even though my Chinese is functionally fluent.

But when I found the right one, that was that. I’m not interested in anyone who sees me as a foreigner first and a human being second. My gf and I have been together for four happy years now and are getting married in May. :rainbow:[/quote]

mazzal tov :bravo:

that’s true.
btw, when i was on the tram in oz, there’re 3 Asian girls sat together with an oz guy. They’re chatting about the guy’s cute. Then suddenly the guy spoke in Chinese!!“我會說中文” I was curious n turned around to make sure he’s really a caucasian…yeh, he’s.
Personally, there’s a guy can speak in decent Chinese like “頭腦簡單 四肢發達” n i didn’t know how to explain to my oz colleague… :blush:

maybe like “jock”?

You didn’t mention which apps/websites. Are they local or international? When in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you speak to girls (assuming you don’t mind this type of girl) who are obviously looking for foreigners at places like OKCupid it isn’t that surprising they are flipping out reading Chinese from a foreigner.

TRU cus i can think of some apps you would have a much easier time on if you used chinese.