Typing chinese?

what program do you guys use to type chinese characters using an english edition of WinXP?

currently i’m using Microsoft’s new phonetic IME 2002a, but it has different spellings for different words.

for instance, for the word 中i need to enter “jhong” instead of “zhong”.
and that’s just the ones i have found. they have almost no words starting with the letter x.

thanks for all the help btw.

Oh, that’s because it’s set to Taiwan Chinese, no? Sorry, i forget how I got around this. :blush:

HG

I use a program called NJstar. Can easily switch between traditional and simplified and the type of input, from pinyin to zhuyin and such.

You have to change the keyboard settings from Taiwan Pinyin to Hanyu Pinyin. You have the right IME though.

On mine (CHinese Taiwan XP) you have to select 新注音. It’s the same as Hanyu Pinyin.

[quote=“pdk902”]currently I’m using Microsoft’s new phonetic IME 2002a, but it has different spellings for different words.

for instance, for the word 中I need to enter “jhong” instead of “zhong”.[/quote]
The Tongyong Virus has infected Microsoft! Truly the stuff of nightmares…

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

[quote=“smithsgj”]On mine (Chinese Taiwan XP) you have to select 新注音. It’s the same as Hanyu Pinyin.[/quote]You might also need to change the properties on it, because it doesn’t necessarily default to Pinyin.

Could someone look up one of the longer previous threads about this and merge maybe?

Well, you can always split your hard drive and install the Chinese version of Windows XP. If you include Office 2003, you can type and switch from word to word without any ado in the same sentence. I did this a few years back, and we almost exlcusivey use the Chinese version because it is so easy to write in English at the same time. We can also replace English with Espa

BTW, I really do know how to spell occasional, it’s the other words I’m not too sure about.

[quote]currently I’m using Microsoft’s new phonetic IME 2002a, but it has different spellings for different words.

for instance, for the word 中I need to enter “jhong” instead of “zhong”.
and that’s just the ones I have found. they have almost no words starting with the letter x.
[/quote]

Your problem is easily fixed and you don’t need to install anything.

Right-click the language bar and select ‘Settings’

In the box under ‘Installed Services’ scroll down and select your ‘new phonetic IME 2002a’. Highlight it and then click ‘Properties’. Choose the ‘Keyboard Mapping’ tab. You’ll currently have ‘Taiwan Pinyin’ selected. Change to ‘Hanyu Pinyin’.

That’s it.

Brian