Tzu Chi University CLTC - thoughts?

Hi all,

Just looking at a few universities to spend time at in Taiwan studying Chinese (will probably start from absolute beginner level). I have looked at a few options in Taipei (being NTNU & NTU CLD). That said, I would like to not just limit myself to the capital. I really like the short 4 days I spent in Hualien/East Rift Valley when I was last in Taiwan, and noticed that Tzu Chi University is on the MOE’s list of learning centres. I am just wondering if anyone has done a term (or more) there, or if you know someone who has?

Just having a quick look at the course, and additional activities, it seems like a program that covers both Chinese language, but also includes several cultural components that are organised by the uni. I’d just like to get a feel for what the classes are like, and also the general quality of the language school.

At the moment this is merely a thought, but I do think that taking a term or two, in somewhere like Hualien County, would really force me to use the Chinese skills I develop. That said, I am a little worried that the school may not have as many Westerners there, which might make my life a little lonely at times :cry: . Would just like to hear people’s thoughts.

Cheers,
Fish.

[quote=“fishhead”]Hi all,

Just looking at a few universities to spend time at in Taiwan studying Chinese (will probably start from absolute beginner level). I have looked at a few options in Taipei (being NTNU & NTU CLD). That said, I would like to not just limit myself to the capital. I really like the short 4 days I spent in Hualian/East Rift Valley when I was last in Taiwan, and noticed that Tzu Chi University is on the MOE’s list of learning centres. I am just wondering if anyone has done a term (or more) there, or if you know someone who has?

Just having a quick look at the course, and additional activities, it seems like a program that covers both Chinese language, but also includes several cultural components that are organised by the uni. I’d just like to get a feel for what the classes are like, and also the general quality of the language school.

At the moment this is merely a thought, but I do think that taking a term or two, in somewhere like Hualian County, would really force me to use the Chinese skills I develop. That said, I am a little worried that the school may not have as many Westerners there, which might make my life a little lonely at times :cry: . Would just like to hear people’s thoughts.

Cheers,
Fish.[/quote]

I plan to study Chinese at Tzi Chi starting in the fall of 2013, for many of the same reasons as yourself. I’d also like to hear from others who have taken Chinese classes at Tzi Chi.

To the OP–For what it’s worth, I’m another Westerner who will be there. Note, however, that I’m taking a year off of teaching English and getting out of Taoyuan so that I can totally immerse myself in Chinese; I don’t plan on hanging around other Westerners unless they want to use Chinese :slight_smile: Maybe we’ll see each other there. Feel free to contact me if you’d like.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“fishhead”]Hi all,

Just looking at a few universities to spend time at in Taiwan studying Chinese (will probably start from absolute beginner level). I have looked at a few options in Taipei (being NTNU & NTU CLD). That said, I would like to not just limit myself to the capital. I really like the short 4 days I spent in Hualian/East Rift Valley when I was last in Taiwan, and noticed that Tzu Chi University is on the MOE’s list of learning centres. I am just wondering if anyone has done a term (or more) there, or if you know someone who has?

At the moment this is merely a thought, but I do think that taking a term or two, in somewhere like Hualian County, would really force me to use the Chinese skills I develop. That said, I am a little worried that the school may not have as many Westerners there, which might make my life a little lonely at times :cry: . Would just like to hear people’s thoughts.

Cheers,
Fish.[/quote]

I plan to study Chinese at Tzi Chi starting in the fall of 2013, for many of the same reasons as yourself. I’d also like to hear from others who have taken Chinese classes at Tzi Chi.

To the OP–For what it’s worth, I’m another Westerner who will be there. Note, however, that I’m taking a year off of teaching English and getting out of Taoyuan so that I can totally immerse myself in Chinese; I don’t plan on hanging around other Westerners unless they want to use Chinese :slight_smile: Maybe we’ll see each other there. Feel free to contact me if you’d like.[/quote]

Do either of y’all have any insight into language schools/private tutoring availability in Hualian outside of the university? I’d like to intensive 1-on-1 study (say 4 hours a day) and find lodging for a total of 30 days. Prefer less than US $2000 all in including rent.

Thanks

[quote=“treybien”]

Do either of y’all have any insight into language schools/private tutoring availability in Hualian outside of the university? I’d like to intensive 1-on-1 study (say 4 hours a day) and find lodging for a total of 30 days. Prefer less than US $2000 all in including rent.

Thanks[/quote]
I’m not in Hualian yet so I don’t really know. Perhaps there are listings for Chinese tutors in Hualian on tealit.com?

If you go to www.591.com.tw, you can search for lodging. On the left side options, tick the box that says 可短期租賃 (short-term lease). If you need help with this, let me know.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“treybien”]

Thanks[/quote]
I’m not in Hualian yet so I don’t really know. Perhaps there are listings for Chinese tutors in Hualian on tealit.com?

If you go to www.591.com.tw, you can search for lodging. On the left side options, tick the box that says 可短期租賃 (short-term lease). If you need help with this, let me know.[/quote]

Thank you Steve, much appreciated.

They do have this short Spring term which I could conceivably do language.tcu.edu.tw/Userdata … 20term.pdf but four people in one dorm room? spare me

Also I live in mainland and only know simplified characters so I’d like to avoid formal mandarin instruction in Taiwan. Just want intense oral practice in a place that is much cooler than mainland China.

I’m bumping this thread because I’d really like to hear from anyone who has attended Tzi Chi University’s Chinese Language Center. I’ve pretty much made up my mind to start there in the fall, but I’d still like to talk with any former students. Thanks.

I had looked into it and a friend of mine who lives in Hualien told me you must live on campus when you go there. But now that I’m looking at it, it looks like it is optional. I called there and the woman in the office told me some price that was something along the lines of $130USD per semester but there’s no way it is that cheap. I would also love to hear from someone who has been there.

The cost according to their website information (not including materials) is:

Spring & Summer Semesters
NT$36,000 per semester (3~5 students/class)
NT$32,400 per semester (6+ students/class)

Fall & Winter Semesters
NT$33,000 per semester (3~5 students/class)
NT$29,700 per semester (6+ students/class)

Just an update: I am doing 4 weeks of private tutoring at 4 hours a day (on average) through Tzu Chi (so with one of their instructors or some guy off the street they found). I’ll start in mid-April. I’ll return here w/ my thoughts assuming I successfully get on board and find housing :slight_smile: I am now going to consult that 591 site you suggested earlier.

(I do fully intend to go—I have already remitted my funds for the tuition.)

Have scanned the short term options on 591—most are half year/3 month minimum requirements…could mean I am out of luck for a non-guesthouse option I guess. I have never lived in Taiwan (only traveled for 1 week), but have lived in 大陆 for 3 years. Do you think people are more open to these arrangements offline? It is a pretty particular request admittedly

trey how did it go for you there?

After describing my experience at Tzu Chi’s CLC in another thread, I remembered this one and figured the information could be useful here.
Here’s the link: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=145059&p=1679033#p1679033