U.S. author Wolfe wins bad sex award

For those of you that think Tom Wolfe (who I think is known for his support of Bush) has got his hand on more than just the pulse of American Campus life. You’ll be bemused to see he was winner of the Bad Sex in Fiction writing award.

For this:
Wolfe won it for a couple of purple passages from his latest novel I am Charlotte Simmons, a tale of campus life at an exclusive US university.

“Slither slither slither slither went the tongue,” one of his winning sentences begins.

“But the hand that was what she tried to concentrate on, the hand, since it has the entire terrain of her torso to explore and not just the otorhinolaryngological caverns - oh God, it was not just at the border where the flesh of the breast joins the pectoral sheath of the chest - no, the hand was cupping her entire right - Now!”

Judges described Wolfe’s prose as “ghastly and boring”.

You can knock yourselves out with some other pearls at theage.com.au/articles/2004/ … 59777.html

Almost as good as Newt Gingrich’s and Bill O’Reilly’s sex writings!

Bill likes to rough 'em up a bit I noticed, especially the young 'nes.

You might want to consider that Wolfe did this deliberately. He was quoted in a recent interview as saying that he would have failed if anyone finds anything the slightlest bit titillating in the book.

I believe he intended it in part as a commentary on how oversexed society has become.

Ah, found the interview:
guardian.co.uk/uselections20 … 25,00.html
It’s even in a paper that you two will approve of. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]He was quoted in a recent interview as saying that anyone who finds anything the slightlest bit titillating in the book must have something wrong.
[/quote]

In which case the judges were in complete agreement. Although, it gave me a raging boner.

[quote=“Fox”][quote]He was quoted in a recent interview as saying that anyone who finds anything the slightlest bit titillating in the book must have something wrong.
[/quote]

In which case the Judges were in complete agreement. Although, it gave me a raging boner.[/quote]

Sorry, had to correct my above statement after re-reading the interview.

Wolfe has been a pro;ific writer for 40+ yrs. His early rise to celebrity was an entertaing book named The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. A tail about the adventures of Ken Kesey and The Merry Prankster in their converted school bus named…FURTHER.

He followed this with a politcal novel named Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers. A rather accurate send up of socially hip, guilt riddedn white people who deem themselves elite. It shows how they caould be manipulated by the then hip Black Power groups. And lose their cash doing so.

A later work which gained fame was Bonfires of the Vanities. More social observations.

His latest is a run-up of college life and its emptiness. A good read.

I find it interesting that the two of you are so preoccupied with Wolfe’s political views. Shouldn’t you be more concerned about his writing ability? Personally, I don’t select my reading by the author’s politics, although I understand that those on the Left like to live in their little bubble without having to think about anything their elites don’t tell them to think (“Clarence Thomas stupid black”, “Condi Rice stupid black”, “Jesse Jackson brilliant orator”, “Bush stupid evil hitler”).

I actually get a good laugh out of reading Eric Flint’s left-leaning novels, especially the parts where he goes on about the horrible evil Republicans and industry bosses, while painting heroic images of the staunch unionists and strong workers (“strong like bull, smart like tractor”). Fortunately, I don’t actually have to pay to read the stuff, as I really would consider that to be a shame, what with him being a good Trotskyite and all – don’t want to make him violate his principles by giving him cash, you know!

Wolfe’s other books that I’ve read, The Right Stuff and Bonfire of the Vanities, have been well-written and interesting, certainly far more realistic than the Left-approved The Handmaid’s Tale (which was one of the duller Ted Koppel “Nightline” episodes – Wolfe debating wozzername on literary merit, hah!).

But anyway. Given that Wolfe went out of his way to keep the sex talk non-erotic (or even anti-erotic), it does appear that he achieved his goal.

I couldn’t care less about Wolfe’s political views.

I find it interesting that the two of you are so preoccupied with Wolfe’s political views. Shouldn’t you be more concerned about his writing ability? Personally, I don’t select my reading by the author’s politics, although I understand that those on the Left like to live in their little bubble without having to think about anything their elites don’t tell them to think (“Clarence Thomas stupid black”, “Condi Rice stupid black”, “Jesse Jackson brilliant orator”, “Bush stupid evil hitler”).

I actually get a good laugh out of reading Eric Flint’s left-leaning novels, especially the parts where he goes on about the horrible evil Republicans and industry bosses, while painting heroic images of the staunch unionists and strong workers (“strong like bull, smart like tractor”). Fortunately, I don’t actually have to pay to read the stuff, as I really would consider that to be a shame, what with him being a good Trotskyite and all – don’t want to make him violate his principles by giving him cash, you know!

Wolfe’s other books that I’ve read, The Right Stuff and Bonfire of the Vanities, have been well-written and interesting, certainly far more realistic than the Left-approved The Handmaid’s Tale (which was one of the duller Ted Koppel “Nightline” episodes – Wolfe debating wozzername on literary merit, hah!).

But anyway. Given that Wolfe went out of his way to keep the sex talk non-erotic (or even anti-erotic), it does appear that he achieved his goal.[/quote]

Trotsky wrote articles for the most conservative of English newspapers – the Telegraph :wink:

Well, one of my favorite writers, Tom Wolfe, has gotten himself an award for “bad sex in fiction.” I have never read his novel,“I am Charlotte Simmons”, for which he was honored but here is some of it from the article at
news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=
/nm/20041214/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_literature_sex

“Slither slither slither slither went the tongue…”

But the hand that was what she tried to concentrate on, the hand, since it has the entire terrain of her torso to explore and not just the otorhinolaryngological caverns – oh God, it was not just at the border where the flesh of the breast joins the pectoral sheath of the chest – no, the hand was cupping her entire right – Now!"

Woo Hoo!!! :laughing: Quite a mess, I would say!!! I can’t believe this came from the same man who gave the world the wonderful “Bonfire of the Vanities!”
Poor Tom is not alone. Another writer gave this account of a woman’s vulva:

“(It was) like a large exotic mushroom in the fork of a tree, a little pleasure dome if ever I’ve seen one, where Alph the sacred river ran down to a tideless sea. No, not tideless. Her tides were convulsive, an ebb and flow that could take you very far, far back, before hurling you out, wildly and triumphantly, on a ribbed and windswept beach without end.”

Good LORD!!! :help: However, it ain’t over yet. According to the same ariticle

“Another writer who only narrowly escaped the prize was Britain’s Nadeem Aslam for his novel “Maps for Lost Lovers” a tale of life in a Muslim community in an English town.”
“His mouth looked for the oiled berry,” one of his raunchiest passages starts.

And yet another author offered the following:

“The smell of his armpits was on her shoulders – a flower depositing pollen on a hummingbird’s forehead…”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ashley was now wearing only brief white panties. She had signaled her desire by removing her shirt and skirt, and by leaning back on the couch. She closed her eyes, concentrating on nothing but Shannon