U.S. election -- how important are environmental issues?

I’m just curious, because they don’t seem particularly important to the Democrats.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 1110210036

Supporters of Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass, walk through signs which have been left behind after a rally at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2004. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian)

MPS

You really should pay more attention to the election campaign. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with ‘issues’ of any sort, period. It is a simply highly ironic beauty pagent (thanks TM fro summing it up so well on the other thread) where any mention of real world postions or policies is unintended.

That picture reminds me of the beach by Ilan after a party this summer.

A central plank of the jplowman party will be forcing litterers to wear trash bags.

On the other hand there’s nothing better than restaurants where you can toss trash on the floor. Pure bliss man.

MaPo I bet some environmentalists at the rally were thinking exactly what you said. They’re captives of the two party system. :unamused:

Think of all the trees hacked down!

Haven’t you ever been to a rally? Every rally is like that before the cleanup crew starts working. If the rally has a small budget or staff, they’ll ask people who go to the rally to help pick up trash. Election campaigns needs to pay for the cost of renting trash bins.

AP - Communities Cope with Costs of Campaign Stops

Bush held a rain-soaked rally in July that caused in excess of $15,000 damage to a baseball field, and nobody knows who’s going to pay for that damage.

From the same news story:

[quote]Campaigns follow federal campaign rules that allow for reimbursing everything but security costs, said Aaron McClear, a Bush-Cheney spokesman.
[/quote]

So the Kerry campaign must pay to clean up all those signs in the photo above, but they don’t need to pay for all the police overtime that went into that rally. The communities might like being able to charge the rallies for cleanup costs, but they don’t enjoy paying the police overtime. Cleanup is cheap; police really cost a lot.

Ops
and i thought this was serious