U.S. Immigration Debate

Too bad there’s not a passport trade program. Americans who’ve made it and now want to keep it could trade passports with people who come from countries with good beaches and a low cost of living who haven’t made it yet. Such a passport trade program would probably solve half the problem overnight, if not more.

That is one case. There are many cases where the dreamers were deported without any criminal record.

Which are the many cases? Can you give link where you’re getting this info?

Every report I find details that DACA being deported are have criminal records or active gang members or been arrested/charged with a felony. The ones without have not been deported.

Congress+ Obama deported 365 Daca deported in 4 yrs for violent crime convictions + Gang members

Congress+ Trump deported 43 Daca deported by Trump thus far for same reasons

Read the article it appears to be an isolated incident where the lawyers made a mistake on paperwork and is already being appealed/rectified. As with any big policies theres mistakes and they get to appeal.

Are there many others like this with no criminal record as you’ve said? This sounds more like a rare exception and he likely will be fine, not deported at all

I wish the mainstream media would balance it out with more news of violent criminals being deported and clarify on the fact that this guy probably won’t get deported cause a lawyer messed up on his paper work. In fact, I don’t even know why this is a story.

It appears as I said before, DACA deportation is concentrating on criminals and gang members which is the same Daca deportation Policy the Obama adminsitration carried out for 4 years as well. Interestingly it got zero negative media attention from MSM during Obama admin.

Here’s another one.

Taken from Huffinton Post. “Homan said that even without Obama-era priorities, ICE agents were not doing indiscriminate sweeps. 92% of people arrested by ICE from Jan. 20 ― the day Trump took office ― to the end of the fiscal year had a criminal conviction or pending change, were: ICE fugitives or had been previously ordered removed by a judge and then deported”

Sucks to be that 8% but of course they have opportunities to repeal. Try that anywhere outside the EU or US and you get laughed at by Customers/Immigration officers. In the mean time though I do feel bad until I remember I am paying high Federal and high CA state taxes to support their public school education, drivers licenses, lack of insurance (my brother and 3 friends got a hit and runs by illegal immigrants who just took off cause no insurance) and access to free or subsidized health care, and I personally know two undocumented who got hands on Social Security and welfare. Democrats enouraging them to vote.

My understanding is Trump wanted to grant 3 million DACA amnesty in trade for the border wall but the Democrats would not compromise and wanted everything, DNC said No wall and Amnesty for all or no deal.

debate has been closed (err temporarily, but we know how that works)

Yeah, since immigration had absolutely zero to do with the spread of corona virus.

1 Like

It just wafted across the oceans on the breeze.

1 Like

US is pretty late to the game on this one. Immigration services have been down in European countries for a while now.

No, was brought in by vacationers and business people, both groups either returning or visiting. For example, after Trump suspended visits from Chinese nationals, 40,000 individual trips were made between China and America; Trump apparently believed if he called it the China virus only Chinese passport holders could bring it in (not counting those who brought it in from Europe, where flights weren’t suspended for another month).
Actually, I support a suspension of immigration with the current unemployment rates. However, somehow I don’t think you’ll see office workers out picking crops very long.

Except lots of immigrants create jobs and investment (how many immigrants started or run tech companies in the US) and they are not necessarily even immigrating for work either. Some of these immigrants are healthcare workers too.
It’s just a political smokescreen , a pointless diversion, very possibly even counter productive in combatting covid19 .

Like shutting off flights from Wuhan and then Europe were diversions? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So even though Pelosi was introducing a bill to prevent Trump from issuing travel bans at that time, the real problem was that the travel ban didn’t strip American citizens and green card holders the right from returning home? It didn’t go far enough?

That is a bold opinion, but not one shared by many Trump critics.

1 Like

Foreign-born workers make up about 17% of the US civilian labor force. But they’re an even bigger part of the workforce in many jobs that are key to fighting the virus and keeping the country afloat, according to a recent analysis by the Migration Policy Institute. Immigrants are also likely to be disproportionately impacted by layoffs, the institute said.

Here’s a look at some key statistics about immigrant workers in the United States from that analysis and why these numbers matter right now:

6.3 million immigrants hold jobs that are key to fighting coronavirus

The Migration Policy Institute used 2018 census data to crunch the numbers.

Their estimate: 6,259,000 immigrants are working in jobs on the frontlines of the fight against coronavirus, including health care and social services; grocery stories, pharmacies and gas stations; manufacturing of food, medicine, soap and cleaning agents; agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting; bus, metro and taxi drivers; postal service workers; and scientific research and development.

1 in 4 doctors in the US are immigrants

Across the United States, 29% of all physicians are immigrants. That’s a significant number. And there’s more to the story that this data point doesn’t capture. In many rural communities, immigrant doctors are providing crucial medical care.

38% of home health aides are immigrants

The need for home health care is growing as the US population gets older. And a large percentage of home health care workers are immigrants. Experts have warned that if immigrants lose work permits, the shortage in home health aides will become even more severe.

22% of workers in the US food industry are immigrants

Immigrants play an “outsized role in food production,” according to MPI, and represent a far larger share of workers in certain occupations.

Nearly a third of agriculture workers nationwide are foreign-born, according to census data. But experts caution official data likely doesn’t provide a complete picture of all the country’s agriculture workers, because many are undocumented and not necessarily included in those tallies.

But the official numbers that do exist show immigrants play a big part in getting food on America’s tables.

37% of meat processing industry workers are immigrants

Given the growing number of coronavirus outbreaks we’ve seen at meat processing facilities, that’s an important statistic to keep in mind.

35% of crop production workers are immigrants

Some of them recently told CNN they were scared to go to work because of the coronavirus but felt they had no other choice.

483,000 immigrants work in grocery stores

That’s around 16% of the nearly 3 million grocery retail workers, according to MPI.

69% of California’s agricultural workers are immigrants

California produces two-thirds of the country’s fruits and nuts and one third of the country’s vegetables.

34% of metro, bus and taxi drivers are immigrants

They’re making sure other essential workers can get to their jobs, even though their own health is at risk.

6 million immigrants work in industries that are laying off large numbers of workers

According to MPI, immigrants are “also over-represented in some of the non-frontline industries that are being devastated as more people follow social distancing guidelines and more states and cities issue shelter-in-place orders.”

These industries include accommodation and food services; nonessential retail; personal services and private households; arts and entertainment; building services; nonessential transportation and travel assistance.

Someone needs to watch the Crenshaw video.

1 Like

Another demonstration that factoids alone do not constitute a logical argument.

1 Like

It’s hard to be logical when the algorithm driving your FB and news feed effortlessly supplies you with what you think you’re looking for. Some people must be amazed by how easy it is to find articles, opinions and cartoonies that confirm EXACTLY what they were thinking before they open their browser. :roll:

I favour immigration in the long term and hope it returns. However, these are special circumstances where because of unemployment in the short-term the suspension might be justified.

1 Like