U.S. Navy admiral makes unannounced visit to Taiwan, sources say

2 Likes

Paving the way for the commander-in-chief’s visit?

2 Likes

Well Trump apparently had to be talked out of launching an an attack on Iran. Recognition of Taiwan as a final FU to China doesn’t seem so far fetched anymore.

3 Likes

Would be quite a nice surprise for a change but do you really believe that?
Trump doesn’t know the difference between Thailand and Taiwan.
Apart from lunches with VP Mike Pence, his official agenda has been quite empty. He rather plays golf and probably charges every Security Service officer protecting him for it.

His final FU will be to the people of the US.

3 Likes

It’d be awesome if Trump paid a visit to Taiwan in December! Just to make life difficult for the incoming Biden administration.

5 Likes

The guy made a phone call to Tsai Ing-Wen, not Prayut Chan-o-cha.

5 Likes

Look, I’m no fan of the Rotten Orange, but this is just silly. There’s no question that under Trump, the US and Taiwan have become closer.

I don’t think Trump’s Taiwan policy has been dictated by principle. I don’t think he actually cares about Taiwan. He has used the “Taiwan issue” as leverage in his fight against China, largely I believe at the advice of his hawkish foreign policy advisers.

God knows what Trump might do in the next couple of months. Something related to Taiwan is hardly the craziest of possibilities.

7 Likes

Of course. The anti-China hawks he has as advisors see him as an empty vessel. Which is fine!

1 Like

We talk about Trump but he’s just a puppet. At rallies and speeches to his audience, he’s a god.

But his actions as a president are largely driven by lobbies and ultra-conservative think-tanks.

Given that he started a campaign against the US presidential voting system, it’s doubtful he’ll spend much time for anything outside his borders.

You’re right in that you never know what’s his next FU will be as his mind is just so erratic and his attention span compares to that of a goldfish.

Trump was reviled by the establishment and its armies of lackeys because he wasn’t a puppet. He’s independently wealthy and didn’t need to sell his soul. Unfortunately, while he wasn’t the usual puppet who occupies the White House, he is a complete jackass.

1 Like

And…

The thing is, every move Biden reverses, his administration will own the consequences of. Could be a good thing in some cases, and not a good thing in others.

2024 will be here before we know it.

2 Likes

Reverse it all, reassess.

1 Like

As I said before “You’re right in that you never know what’s his next FU will be as his mind is just so erratic and his attention span compares to that of a goldfish.” One minute it’s Iran, the other it’s China but it all comes down to making easy money and playing golf for him.

Not realistic. Biden’s a politician. Optics matter to him and the party. And in the case of China, just reversing everything Trump does, like reversing the Trump administration’s rejection of all of China’s South China Sea claims, could have serious consequences.

1 Like

Totally realistic for everything he didn’t have the guts to do before and is sliding in now to sabotage things. Everything he does now is tainted. Reverse it all, reassess.

2 Likes

He should overthrow everything and do a 180 if he cares about his party and the people that voted for him. The majority of the people voted for him to do so. The people didn’t vote against Trump for his China policy but for everything else. I don’t think Biden will be any less lenient to China as Trump was. And if you haven’t heard, China couldn’t give 50 cent who will be the next president of the US.

2 Likes

Ok well I’ll be waiting for Biden to remove the most recent China/HK sanctions, reverse the rejection of China’s South China Sea claims, etc. and see how that all goes down.

1 Like

Great. If it’s something as obvious as helping starving African children or in a huge policy reversal rejecting China’s south sea claims, yawn, sure. I’d be making it clear now though, trust none of it because it’s all liable to be reversed the minute the lunatic-in-chief is out the door.

1 Like

(Thankfully) the Trump admin will leave him with such a sh*thole, South China Policy will be on the bottom of his priority list.