U.S. Navy admiral makes unannounced visit to Taiwan, sources say

America’s objection to China’s claims in the South China Sea was first raised under the Obama administration.

1 Like

1 Like

Sure about that? We don’t even know if he’s a billionaire. He has $400M in debt with payments coming due and real estate isn’t exactly liquid. He couldn’t get funding from a US bank to save his life so had to rely on foreign banks and his projects increasingly went to third world dictatorships like Russia and Azerbaijan. After becoming president, he immediately increased membership fees at Mar a Lago and began holding diplomatic events there. Not to mention funneling diplomats into the Trump hotel in DC just coincidentally finished right after he took office. And then the Saudis bailed out Kushner before they went bust too.

Sounds like he’s beholden to a lot of people and the presidency is a desperate attempt to keep him afloat. Hence his love for dictators.

3 Likes

It’s not as simple as you make it out to be.

1 Like

I don’t know how much more of a recognition it would take to clear that bar. China draws a line in the sand. It gets crossed. They draw another. It gets crossed.

I will suggest that the Admiral’s visit was a firm handshake on new weapons systems and a hot breath whisper that Japan has Taiwan’s back.

1 Like

They won’t cross the line of official recognition though. I think China will ignore most things with an official protest only (politician visits, weapon sales) but independence activities will poke the bear

The US won’t cross certain lines. Like they don’t recognize China’s claims to the SCS islands but they won’t go in militarily to do anything about it all while they were getting built up.

And now this…

2 Likes

Tell that to Clinton in 1999.

If Trump had won he would have divided and destroyed US society and its political system even more. That would have been really good for Taiwan right? LOL

1 Like

Deterring prying eyes and errant Chinese planes.

3 Likes

Recent comment in the Oil Prices forums is interesting :

“TSMC alone is worth going to war over”

There’s thinking at the moment that under no circumstance should the world allow the majority of Class 10 Semiconductor Fabrication fall under China’s control.

Meanwhile, Intel CEO has reached out to Biden urging for help on US based semiconductor production.

Hah. That’s hilarious if true.

I think Intel has Biden confused with somebody who puts the interests of the US before the interests of the world, including China. That ain’t Biden.

4 Likes

You should be a novel writer. Somewhere inbetween erotica and politics.

1 Like

I know a few people preparing to leave Taiwan if Beijing Biden is elected. They said he will allow the Chinese to take Taiwan.

1 Like

Somehow I don’t think those leaving will be any big loss to Taiwan

Similar to celebs in the States that all said they would move to Canada if Trump won 4 years ago. None of them did.

3 Likes

He didn’t say they were leaving. He said they were preparing to leave. The difference is night and day.

I don’t know of a universe where that’s not sensible.

2 Likes

Preparing to leave ‘if Beijing biden is elected.’

That’s an interesting English semantic.

Preparing to leave as a done deal if he is elected or preparing to leave if he is elected and something happens to threaten Taiwan? A bit of a nuance I’m missing.

Nonetheless I’m always amused when people start threatening like them leaving is actually going to hurt Taiwan or the USA in any way.

It’s not semantic. I’m currently in Texas for two reasons, one of which is to scout out property that my family could retreat to in the event that China takes Taiwan. I did this without knowing the outcome of the election, though.

You can argue whether Beijing Biden helps or hinders China’s intentions wrt Taiwan (I doubt even you believe the latter, that a Biden win frightens China, or gives pause to the CCP), but preparations for a Chinese takeover surely cannot hurt.

1 Like

I agree that people should always be on alert for the potential of things going south.
I am under no illusion that electing trump again would mean a ounce more security against China than biden or anyone else for that matter.

Trump didn’t get the trade deal he was demanding in full but if he did get all he wanted it would have been business as usual. He was saying very complementary things about Xi until he didn’t get his way.

1 Like

This is probably wishful thinking though. If China decides to try to take Taiwan, it’s most likely going to start with a saturation attack that will target the very infrastructure you need to get off the island.

My feeling is that if you’re not prepared to take the risk of being stuck here if/when China attacks, you should move now.

1 Like