U.S. Presidential candidate Ron Paul--what say ye?

Rep Ron Paul (Republican-Texas) is ideologically a Libertarian (for example, he proposes to eliminate the IRS, along with most government services) who is tolerated, but not loved, by mainstream Republicans. His nickname, “Dr. No” (he is a medical doctor), alludes to his tendency to vote against bills that his colleagues support. (This included the Iraq war.) His candidacy is widely considered a long-shot. His supporters claim that he has been unfairly marginalized in the debates, and hope that Paul’s strong appeal to tech-oriented voters (he also opposes regulating the internet) may allow him to be heard anyway.

My colleague is a big fan, and talks about him all the time. So, what do you make of him? How do you think he is generally perceived by the U.S. electorate? And how well/poorly do you think he will do in the primaries and caucuses?

The sort of society Ron Paul envisions wouldn’t be much good to anyone. How would we be able to pillage our fellow citizens and jockey for advantage over the resources of the state?

After seeing his interviews, he seems like an affable left-wing nut. I’m pretty liberal, but this guy is like almost an anarchist kind of left. That’s my impression.

youtube.com/watch?v=FfOYScoX__E

[quote=“ac_dropout”]After seeing his interviews, he seems like an affable left-wing nut. I’m pretty liberal, but this guy is like almost an anarchist kind of left. That’s my impression.

youtube.com/watch?v=FfOYScoX__E[/quote]

No, he’s a very right-wing libertarian- which puts him close to anarchists in some ways. The spectrum on the extreme “freedom” end of the scale goes (from right to left) libertarian-- anarcho-capitalist-- anarcho-communalist

Also has some “interesting” racial views- and is very cozy with right-wing militias.

He’s an odd bird indeed. But he’s something the GOP needs: a maverick who has the guts to speak his mind candidly instead of mindlessly parroting the TalkingPoints™ and marching in lock-step with the party line. He’s not a liberal; indeed, he has more in common with Pat Buchanan than anyone else I can think of. He’s a right-libertarian.

I would not want a Ron Paul presidency. But I’m glad he’s there to add new dimensions to the political dialogue.

As much as I hate the IRS, as well as several of the other agencies he would cut, I’d like to see how exactly he plans to eliminate them without causing mass chaos.