U.S. pushes for UN lifting sanctions on Iraq

Latest from BBC.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2954485.stm

Now, is the U.S. really looking after the interets of Iraqi people, or is this a planned opportunity for the U.S. business to profit from the reconstruction of Iraq?

Without the sanctions officially lifted, UN essentially has control over the economics and trade of Iraq. By lifting the sanctions, Iraq would be open to trade freely with pretty much anybody.

What gives? What’s going to happen? What’s U.S.'s real motive behind the move? Your thoughts please…

the better question is, why would anyone want to keep sanctions on iraq in place now that saddam’s gone?

Certainly. But the way US is pushing for it sounds little fishy, doesn’t it? Back in the US, companies are fighting for the lucrative “reconstruction” contracts, while congressmen/senators pushing for “Made in USA” only commercial interests for Iraqi people in the name of “we-fought-the-war-we-get-to-say-what-to-do-with-Iraqi-money”. Doesn’t it look like a big scam for business profits? Granted it might take a while to go through all the suspected weapons sites, I doubt they’ll find much. And again, WMD has been redefined in light of 911.

Not as fishy as the UN’s reluctance to drop the sanctions now that the reason for the sanctions no longer exists.

I agree with Flipper(!) Also - why start a new thread for this? Shouldn’t it be in the American Foreign Policy Sucks thread or the Baghdad or Bust one?

Juba,

I just sent you some G$ for being consistent (I assume). I assume that you opposed the sanctions all along. I think being consistent while holding high principles is one of the most difficult things of all. Eventually, our principles run right smack into our self-interests, and then things can get pretty blurry and confusing.

Now, on a technical note, while attempting to post this message, I inadvertantly hit the “ignore” button instead of the “quote” button. I enjoy reading Juba’s posts. How to I undo the ignore function?

Point taken.

To delete someone from “ignore” list, go to the “Ignore” button on the top of the page below the logo (where it has all the other menu buttons, FAQ, Search, Memberlist… etc. It’s on the 2nd row).

[quote=“scchu”]Point taken.

To delete someone from “ignore” list, go to the “Ignore” button on the top of the page below the logo (where it has all the other menu buttons, FAQ, Search, Memberlist… etc. It’s on the 2nd row).[/quote]

Thanks a bunch!