Uber? Should Taiwan allow Uber to operate?

The fact that the taxi drivers are complaining about all the stuff Uber doesn’t do (which is of seemingly little benefit to me as a consumer) makes me avoid them even more.

Agreed. They prefer cash because many taxi drivers would rather keep this income completely off the books. I’ve even heard that there are Taiwanese citizens with connections to gangs driving taxi here!

Am I the only one that likes crazy fast taxi drivers lol?

Taxis are almost always a cartel of some kind or another existing because of regulatory capture. Uber despite being yet another faceless evil tech company at least is putting their boots in the fire. It’s ridiculous to think you can lawfully give perfect strangers a ride in your car for free and even receive donations but need exorbitant licenses and testing if you want to charge for it.

I really wish someone would smash the taxi cartel in Australia. There were discussions in the legislative branch just because the service in the capital was so horrendous and expensive.

1 Like

Uber X is 50% cheaper than a Taxi.

1 Like

I like taxis better than uber.

Uber makes the news again and MOTC is going requesting Google and Apple to have the app removed from the app markets.

I’ve said it in the past and I’ll say it again, I’m all for Uber and its clean cars, cheaper fares , job opportunities and now a food delivery service to rival that of Food Panda. However, when they’re operating illegally, they won’t get a dime out of me.

1 Like

I was all for supporting the local taxi service but lately the service has been horrible

how does this work?

It’s pretty much a third party food delivery service for restaurants that would not traditionally have delivery. For example, a burger restaurant would not normally deliver, but now can with UberEats or Food Panda.

If it’s anything like Food Panda, you use the UberEats app to search for restaurants --> order online --> Uber driver picks up the food from the restaurant --> Uber driver delivers to your door.

1 Like

Sure makes transport more convenient especially for non Chinese speakers.

The Taxi drivers should just use Uber too.

Then they would actually have to provide good service and clean cars, many would fall out of Uber after a week due to bad ratings. Agree in principal though. The best thing Uber does aside from being quite a bit cheaper, is quickly get rid of bad drivers/service providers. The taxi mafia generally has no interest in participating in such a phenomenon.

2 Likes

25 million? Like, seriously? You can probably pay your way out of jail for murder for less than that.

Uber doesn’t provide a taxi service. It simply matches car owners to travellers.

Uber owns no cars, employs no drivers, and (AFAIK) charges riders no money. It is not in any sense a taxi company. From one point of view, it isn’t even a transport company. Asserting that Uber are offering taxi services is as stupid as suggesting that dating sites are offering sex for sale.

Laws in general are just not keeping up with physical reality. New services are being invented all the time and lawyers, politicians and regulators are simply not very good prophets.

They say they employ no drivers. The drivers don’t always agree, and Uber has already lost one such case in the US iirc. Conventional taxi companies in various countries have also been known to make the same claim, and they don’t always win either.

1 Like

How about if I do work for clients in Taiwan but my company is overseas. My work is paid on commission and I find and arrange the jobs of others and regulate their working conditions.

Should I not pay any taxes of any sort on my income?
What happens when the people I hire out want health insurance?
Who pays?
Who pays their labour insurance?

They need to get with the program pay their way.

The idea of taxation is utterly obsolete; it has been since multinational companies and remote working became commonplace.

Governments need to get with the program and find more sensible ways to fund their services.

1 Like

Well I don’t want to be paying Ubers social welfare and business taxes!!

Great! So what’s the plan after abolishing taxes?

I dunno. Isn’t that what pay them for, thinking up good ideas? :slight_smile:

Taxation ‘worked’ when people were born, lived and died within 20 miles of the same place, and a big company was a guy who employed 12 people. Tax laws today are a massive patchwork of band-aids to claw in as much revenue as possible; isn’t it about time someone started to think outside the box?

1 Like

So in other words, you’re not against taxation per se but just against income tax?

Some tax reform proposals would eliminate income tax and replace it with consumption tax, for example.