Ugly Truths About Working in Taiwan

some updated stats.

The number of individuals with US$50 million or more in net assets, defined as ultra-high net worth individuals (UHNWIs), in Taiwan was 2,010, up 420 or 26 percent from 2016, the consulting firm said on Friday.
Taiwan’s growth rate was the third-highest in the world, trailing only Brazil’s 28 percent and Russia’s 27 percent, it said.

1 Like

Paradise for the rich being extremely safe here.pretty crappy article didn’t talk about tax reductions in Taiwan.

For westerners sure, but many Taiwanese are willing to eat bitter, make money there, and eventually return to Taiwan.

Oh yeah lots of Westerners too…For the RMB.
As a place to live long term it has massive issues because foreigners are not welcome .

Yeah, I mean you won’t find me moving there, not even for the Rambos.

I don’t think the US would agree with that!

Nor would China or Taiwan. Still, it’s the most peaceful solution I can envision. But who wants peace? Fuck Hope. Fuck Ho Ping.

The global arms industry and their shareholders don’t want peace.

1 Like

If Taiwan disarmed, the PRC would move right in. That’s how that government operates, it will move when it perceives weakness.

Guy

2 Likes

Which is why when you appease it and give it what it wants…it stabs you in the back. Just to show you who is boss.

Glad to see the new Apache brigade formed in Taiwan.
That’s what we need here.

I ask myself if this brouhaha of forumosanas dressed as indigenous Americans can really have a significatif impact on the equilibrium

1 Like

I’ve experienced all of the above one time or another.

This is an exaggeration, but there’s some truth to it.

• Taiwanese bosses are cheapskates when it comes to your paycheck though. But on Chinese New Year they somehow have money to throw a big party.

• There are contracts in Taiwan but for all intents and purposes it’s “right to work” or “at will”. Not terribly different from most states of the US.

• Overall Taiwan is stagnating. The population is aging, people aren’t having kids, wages aren’t all that great, and the wealthy Taiwanese prefer to make their homes overseas.

Still, for all its faults I still think Taiwan isn’t that bad of a place to live and work. Any other place would also have its problems.

The Taiwanese passport is a pretty good one. Visa-free entry in 83 countries, visa on arrival in 46. For comparison: a Chinese passport gets you visa-free entry in 27 countries, visa on arrival in 45.

Yes. Can’t agree more!!!
Many people have never left America even once!!
Medical insurance, medical expenses make life more difficult!

However, Taiwan is good for retire .
If who don’t like Taiwan can back USA to work so hard and non spending any and save money and go Thai for retire! If some one who don’t like Taiwan :taiwan:

Micromanagement in Taiwan from the Laoban will never let employees learn for themselves. Vicious circle.

1 Like

Wasn’t Steve Jobs a notoriously bad manager?

I heard most of the staff hated him, terrible bully, until he was older anyway.

2 Likes

He hired smart people to write good quotes for him.

5 Likes

Supposedly Jobs anecdotes about stuff that happened to him were actually stolen from other people.

Then there was the fact that he disowned his eldest child until she was a teenager.

And there was also his penchant for parking in the handicapped spot. Probably Jobs would fit in well here in Taiwan. Drove an expensive car, had an overarching sense of entitlement and treated his staff like shit. Check.