Ugly Truths About Working in Taiwan

Ok, my problem with that si as follows: Mainlanders buy properties like crazy in other countries because 1. they really own it, not rent it from teh State for X amount of years and 2. it may help them in getting natiionality of other places which passports do not carry as many restrictions and 3. they may then enjoy a little bit more freedom than in Orwellian eye in teh sky firewall of China.

Now, every landowner and mosquito hall owner is waiting for the Chiense to buy in masse in taiwan but…

How is that going to happen if all the 3 incentives mentined above go to hell if Taiwan is assimilated by China?

Won’t that mean they -owner in Taiwan- will lose it all?

1 Like

First, mainlanders are not buying Taiwan. The door may be “open” to them, but it ain’t happening. Sure, there is a case or two, but that’s about all.

Incentive to buy overseas will not die down for mainlanders.
Even with all kinds of financial transaction restrictions, they are still finding ways to buy property overseas. This flood won’t end until regime change in China, but that won’t happen anytime soon.
So, don’t be waiting outside on the doorstop for this flood of mainland money to stop going outside China to buy real estate any time soon.

Why can’t all 3 conditions continue to exist even if Taiwan is “assimilated”? Just look at HK SAR as an example. 1) its property laws remain totally different/separate from those of PRC, 2) HK SAR passport has visa free access to far more countries than PRC passport, 3) HK still does enjoy a bit more freedom than Mainland China (at least no internet firewall). For all these reasons & more, Mainlanders have rushed into HK property over the past 10-20 years and many have gotten HK passports. I’m not saying at all that HK SAR model is the right one for Taiwan, far from it. That’s not the issue here.

a little bit of 3, but mostly they just want to get their money out of the country. and by they, i mean rich, corrupt politicians and their family members who got their money from all sorts of corruption and bribery. they find ways to launder their money out of the country, and grab whatever house/land that comes their way, in cash. ordinary citizens in china can’t afford housing in foreign lands, probably can’t get out of china that easily too.

I think I meant that in 20 to 30 years Taiwan has been semi-peacefully assimilated and Taiwanese will be selling property to gullible mainlanders.

It’s a dystopian vision of our future.

That scenario might be dystopian but its actually not that far-fetched. It may happen.

Going outside nope, won’t stop, but coming to Taiwan? Why buy when you already own the place? See something you like, kick the owners by accussing them of anything, bam bam BUM.

For the ordinary and les sthan ordinary, they have indentured slavery. That is why they have “compatriot associations” lending money, and boatloads of Chinese people landing in South America … that no one reports on.

Well, a lot of th eluster will be lost. And i am not sure HK is a good model as most property speculation rides on the deadline in 50 years…alleged deadline.

And how can you trust the deals? Moreover, what incentive tehre is for China to even make a deal? They have as we call it in Spanish, the pan by the handle.

Worked fine in 1949 when the last lot of mainland swine rocked up here.

Exactly. China will just keep upping the pressure until Taiwan comes hat in hand and gives China the deal it wants.

Xi is going to have a tough time in a few years. He gets the face of being the one who finally brings Taiwan back into the fold

China has some economic pressures building, their stock market is a bit shaky now and property prices out of control in many cities. Their debt levels off the charts.

1 Like

We sold our flat in San Xia, Bei Da area to Taiwanese who bought into that idea…made a :banana: bundle. Don’t wait for the Chinese prospectors. They’re already here.

1 Like

Yes, but this exact set of circumstances can be used to describe most of the last 20 years for China. Leading many pundits to say that China was/is headed for a huge economic implosion/total collapse. I guess time will tell. In fact, some things like the debt situation is actually improving (now vs 4-5 years ago).

Absolutely I agree.
People have been saying it for 15 years anyway.
But eventually it has to peak, I’ve traveled around China and they have a lot of half empty developments .
Shenzhen now is going bananas. Although Shenzhen is China’s silicon valley.

1 Like

Left me say something about this really quickly.

This is only partially true. The wealthiest people stay and send their children abroad for a Western education.

But if you want to go there, even with the brain drain, Taiwan still has among the top-5 average IQs in the world.

*cue someone coming in to argue that the education system is geared toward IQ tests.

65% as a% of gdp. 2017 Not sure if that is latest ? Or if it’s too bad.?

Is that just government debt? if I remember correctly the debt was multiples of gdp. The main problem are local government and private debts, in that order. The government debt was always low.

the good the bad and the ugly is not all there is here , Shite bosses do abound but there are some great ones as well. Sorry you are getting the shaft but that is not the only thing

1 Like