Ugly Truths About Working in Taiwan

Geared towards standardised testing, which always raises IQ test scores.

According to renowned forumosan Roland, all it takes for Taiwan to break out of such a predicament is for Taiwan to adopt an Israeli attitude toward things. Whatever that means.

Maybe so, but no one, no one, would say Taiwanese strike them as being particularly intelligent in a worldly sense (or maybe I mean intellectual) in their everyday conversation. I mean, you’d get more interesting conversation out of the cockroaches in your food cabinet.

This is valuable information left out of the equation for @IulusGrun
Maybe they’re just looking for good conversation.

1 Like

I was thinking maybe yes, we can develop a super duper weapon that will keep the Chinese at bay… eh, nope. Shock and awe works only with people who have something to lose, and Chinese have people to spare. And any sophisticated weaponery would just give the Chinese an excuse to bomb us to oblivion. So nope.

The demilitarization worked in Central America against US invasion but that requires a semi decent adversary who fears losing face by attacking a defenseless “enemy”. I do not think Tibet had an army, so yeah, that approach will not work.

2 Likes

Yeah, but scintillating conversation and well-rounded personalities are hardly synonymous with advanced intellect, you know this
Crap, go spend an hour with high-level tech engineers, for cryin out loud. I mean in the West.

Now, your EQ, well that’s a whole nother cup of meat.

1 Like

I think it’s a combo of IQ, EQ and having your own opinions on “stuff”.

Tibet did have an army, just not a very good one. Plus they had problems buying equipment at times.

All they had was Brad Pitt spending 7 years there. The information superhighway would bring news of genocide much more quickly. I gotta believe that the world would not allow China to attack a disarmed, peace-loving nation.

1 Like

Considering all that happens in the world today, isn’t that a bit naive? Its about what people/groups/countries can get away with. As a function of their own power/leverage vs others, and what price they’re willing to pay to achieve their aims.

3 Likes

It’s learned behaviours. Where I’m from having a conversation is something that was celebrated ,even with strangers . It’s a different focus in society here , as you said…Food being the main topic of everything.
This is all exacerbated by the isolation from mdoern tech staring into phones all day (as he stares into his phone all day ).

You’ve obviously never encountered a drunk Tibetan…

1 Like

One person’s naivety is another person’s idealism.

No, but plenty of drunken Mongolians.

Eh haven’t they just put into effect a “relocation” of Tibetans, so now it is more Chinese than Tibetans? How about the Uighur?

I think thes eguys would spit a peace loving nation a la Imperial Japanese: they would deem them cowards. They always would have an excuse…

It is like the fable of the tiger and the deer. they were drinking by the river. The tiger says you are making my water dirty. thedeer replies he is drinking downriver, there is no way that can happen. the tiger then says you insulted me a few months ago. The deer replies I was born last month. The tiger says then it must have been your father… and ate the deer.

That’s why we don’t give up one tank or plane.

1 Like

Point taken. That reminds of another saying that used to be quite common, something like “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter”. But it seems after Sept 11, 2001, its become a much less common statement. Nobody says it anymore.

Something nobody’s mentioned, or if they have I’ve missed it, is how disproportionately valuable it is to, if at all possible, cultivate good relations with HR, if you’re in a shop big enough to have them.
HR and Bookkeeping departments in local companies tend historically to be extremely hostile towards (local) foreigner hires, often being deeply resentful of their relatively high salaries and the extra work they create. Added requirements to deal with government agencies on visa matters, tax issues, etc., plus the frequent need to provide some level of English communicability, can all end up with them nursing a pretty bitter attitude towards Johhny Whiteguy. Given the considerable amount of hammer they generally pull within the company, they have the potential to make things seriously unpleasant, in a multitude of ways.
My current company is the first one I’ve ever worked at where I was on good, even friendly terms with both HR and accounting, and the difference it makes to the quality of my work experience is extraordinary.

4 Likes

Bring them cookies, bring them snacks–whatever it takes to be on good terms.

Guy

1 Like

Offering to help them on the sleeve with any of their English documents, whether it’s in your job description or not, goes a lot farther in my experience

1 Like