UK ban on petrol cars delayed

no oii is not running out…it will simply be uneconomical to use it.

1 Like

Right, because that’s completely different :roll:

You haven’t provided any stats should we take you seriously?

1 Like

be clearer

if you mean for plastics , not burning oil leaves more for plastic manufacturing.

its very dumb to burn oil

A lot of this doesn’t boil down to “stats” but to fundamental issues of manufacturing, resource extraction, and physics. Plus plain old geopolitics. Most people don’t know about any of that stuff - it’s a bit niche. But here’s the state of play for fossil fuels:

The global energy landscape is facing a crucial turning point. Various studies show that oil liquid production is expected to peak in 2035 at a magnitude of 500 petajoule per day (PJ/d), but when the energy required for the extraction and production of these liquids is taken into account, the net-energy peak is expected to occur in 2025 at a level of 400 PJ/d (Delannoy et al. 2021). For context, the US consumed 100,000 petajoules of energy in 2021.

It is projected that the energy needed for oil liquid production will increase exponentially from 1.5 PJ/d in 1950 to 210 PJ/d in 2050, after which it is expected to plateau.

In other words, we don’t need any help to Just Stop Oil. It’s going to stop itself. And the politicians are making no effort whatsoever to prepare for that future, possibly because they don’t even know what a petajoule is.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, I know about this stuff quite well. :slight_smile:

Your arguments suggest that you don’t. For example, you seem unaware that it requires energy to manufacture an electric vehicle.

1 Like

I told you about the plummeting prices year after year for batteries and shared the stats and also informed you, that gosh, cars have warranties!
Batteries are the key to net zero and literally preventing climate change There are massive investments in battery tech and lithium mining across the board. Price is only going one way…down. And that makes renewable energy incredibly more profitable and feasible
if you can’t see that well it’s on you.

1 Like

Oh good. It’s lucky that money, energy and materials are all free. Problem solved! :rainbow:

4 Likes

And over here in Taiwan exactly nothing will have changed.

1 Like

We have virtually unlimited oil as Milton Friedman stated back in 1973 during an oil crisis.

Why??? Because free market will find new ways to extract it…

Then when the time is right… will find other technologies to replace it.

2 Likes

Really? I’ve noticed a lot more electric scooters on the roads. Battery sharing on nearly every corner…

Also nearly every parking lot appear to have designated charging spots…

2 Likes

You canna change the laws of physics, Captain. There might well be some new oil discoveries and the gravy train will keep running for a while. And that’s fine.

You have to develop those technologies first. Then you have to build them. As of now, they do not exist. The right time to do this is not at that “oh shit” moment when it all goes pearshaped.

The technology is pretty much there already ,
now it’s scaling . That’s the interesting thing…it doesn’t need breakthrough tech really. Although enhanced systems will inevitably come along too such as solid state batteries…low cobalt batteries…peroskivite solar panels…which is going to keep driving more and more efficiencies.

I do kind of agree with that. But let’s put it in perspective.

On the other day @Satellite_TV came from Alishan and we went and met another friend… Who was his “best” friend… Anyhow he bought a nice 3 year old BMW for 600,000NTD! Really cheap for a 6 liter car with heated massaging seats etc…

Now lets put maintenance into the equation… He spends around 100,000NTD a year on fuel tax and licence fees

But a new electric car without all the luxuries starts at around 1.8 to 3 million NTD. So how many years of 100,000NTD is that lol?

1 Like

that’s in Taiwan…forget about the silly situation here

No. The technology got better so they could find and extract new oil. (You cannot change fact. This is what happened despite everyone saying we ran out of oil) - BACK IN 1975 we “peaked” LOL

Really? I guess hydrogen powered Toyotas and electric Teslas don’t exist then…

That’s not going to happen. The transition seems pretty smooth if you ask me

1 Like

On this historic moment, I agree with both of you! :partying_face:

Guy

3 Likes

It’s been like that for the best part of the last 10 years. More should be done, commuting to work and gas scooters should be aimed to be replaced by electric ones in Taiwans cities.

This isn’t a situation like the UK where the environment is already great, the living quality (of Taipei at least but i’m sure it effects most of the island) is dragged down by the unregulated number of petrol scooters.

1 Like

Did you read the article in the Journal of Petroleum Technology? I suspect these people know what they’re talking about.

At the very least, E=mgh. And then you’ve got a whole bunch of other engineering challenges that cost money and require energy inputs. The net result, as the article points out, is that energy input will only be a shade less than energy output by 2050 unless they find some massive, easily-tapped puddle of oil in the meantime. Which could happen. But the bottom line is that Wales changing their speed limits to 20mph, Aldi stocking cricket chips and tofuburgers, or Rishi Sunak blabbering on about EVs is not going to get us where we want to be.

Neither of these are going to deliver “Net Zero”. Teslas and their ilk are going to make things worse. If you can’t figure out why, go and read up on the nature of the technology and the geopolitics involved.

Hydrogen is not a power source. It’s an energy-storage mechanism. Not necessarily a bad one, for some applications, but it’s not a magic panacea.

It’ll all look smooth until someone starts a war over resource shortages.

2 Likes