UK citizen caught smuggling cannabis at Xiaogang airport

16 “bricks” hidden in sports shoes. Total 4.4 kg.
udn.com/NEWS/SOCIETY/BREAKINGNEWS2/5335772.shtml
news.chinatimes.com/2007Cti/2007 … 63,00.html

At least he’s not Canadian.

“Taiwan’s coast guard arrested a British man accused of smuggling 4.4 kilograms of marijuana worth more than 10 million Taiwan dollars (3 million US dollars), a spokesman said Tuesday, DPA reported.” en.trend.az/regions/world/europe/1610191.html

The abject stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Are these amounts for real?

found this:

eighth (3.5g) = £20
half (14g) = £70
ounce (28g)= £120
9bar (approx quarter kilo) = £800

source: last.fm/group/Marijuana/forum/26654/_/74131

10 million NTD is around 300,000 USD, not 3 million!

The amount given by the UDN is in fact 4 million NTD, which is around 120,000 USD. Still seems like a hell of a lot for 4.4 kg.

This is from: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=83916&hilit=Drugs+and+the+Taiwan+justice+system

Drugs and the Justice System: *Edited

How do the Taiwanese authorities categorize the arrests relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, and manufacturing of narcotic drugs?

Unlawful Possession

Are most of those arrested for drug offenses charged with possession rather than with the sale or manufacture of drugs?

“Under the amendments, those who hold or take less than 20 grams of grade-3 narcotics such as Ketamine, or grade-4 stabilizer narcotics will be subject to a fine of NT$10,000 to NT$50,000, and four to eight hours of instruction courses.”

“As to those who hold over 20 grams of the grade-3 and grade-4 narcotics will face a jail term of less than three years.”

“Based on the revised Narcotics Endangerment Prevention Act, those who are found taking a large amount of narcotics will be imposed heavier jail terms than before.”

“For instance, those who hold 10 grams and over of heroin (grade-1 narcotics) will face an imprisonment of over one year and under seven years.”

“Those who hold 20 grams and over of amphetamine (grade-2 drug) will be sentenced to over six months and under five years in jail.”

“Those who hold 20 grams and over of Ketamine (grade-3 drug) will be imprisoned for less than three years, and those who hold 20 grams and over of grade-4 stabilizer drugs will be jailed for less than one year.”

source: [favurl=]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/11/20/233459/Anti-drug-plan.htm[/favurl] The China Post

*Edited

If your housemate, roommate, girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, significant other etc. has copious amounts of unlawful drugs in his/her possession and is arrested, will everybody in the house be charged for aiding and abetting a criminal?

sandman wrote:
Quote:
If your housemate/roommate has copious amounts of unlawful drugs in his possession and is arrested, will everybody in the house be charged for aiding and abetting a criminal?

Number one, you need to be getting a percentage per sale. If he gets busted, so do you. You maybe would be able to talk your way out of it, but it would be extremely iffy, to say the least.
Best to kick the guy out or else move yourself. ASAP.
Kids these days! Jesus!

Sale

A Taiwanese acquaintance got busted with 50 plants. He is facing 6 years. Sounds like 6-7 years is the norm.

Use

What are the implications of failing a drug test here in Taiwan?

Deportation?
Jail sentence?

Manufacturing

Guessing this one comes with a heavy penalty, as it may be seen as the source of all illicit drugs.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]16 “bricks” hidden in sports shoes. Total 4.4 kg.
news.chinatimes.com/2007Cti/2007 … 63,00.html[/quote]

As others have pointed out, the estimated value is obviously completely wrong.

I’m also highly skeptical of the quantity. 4.4 kg hidden in sports shoes?

Here’s almost 6 kg (with an estimated value of $118K).

cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-l … -bust.html

If it really was 4.4 kg (and not 4 grams), I suspect the shoes looked like this

Says he flew in from Vietnam, so the dope was probably that crap Cambodian brick stuff, which is packed very tight, so possibly right on the kilos front. What an embarrassing thing to be caught with! From Vietnam??!! Just so happens to be one of the leading exporters of smack. Any flight out of Vietnam is scrutinised carefully, EVERYWHERE.

For his own peace of mind, I hope someone leveled a gun to his head and gave him two options - fly with that crap and risk jail in Taiwan or I shoot you dead right now.

AND hopefully, the poor bastard isn’t mentally ill like that sad sod the mainlanders offed yesterday!

[quote]Akmal Shaikh: China refers to controversial Opium Wars with Britain
The Chinese embassy referred to the controversial role Britain played in supplying opium to China following the execution of British citizen Akmal Shaikh, according to a leading historian.[/quote]

HG

Why?!

Why are they ALWAYS wrong on the amounts and or values of drug busts on foreigners?!

Every F—in’ time! :fume:

They confuse grams with kilograms or screw up (always exaggerating) the street value and exchange rate by a couple orders of magnitude. I think the people writing, and editing these articles should be given the Olympic drug test before they’re allowed to touch another keyboard.

C’mon! If I consistantly wrote that it was only 350 meters from Taipei to Kaohsiung, that the average duck weighs less than two grams, and that most men in China are between 140 and 180 meters tall, I’d lose my job at China Post. Those papers aren’t worth the NT$15,000 they’re charging! I’m gonna start reading the paper at the local library! It’s only half a meter away! I should be able to walk there in 10 hours, or I could be there in 3 seconds if I rode my 15000cc scooter!

Maybe he too will claim to be bi-polar and tricked into smuggling with promises of becoming the next Taiwanese Pop star.
crosses fingers for internet leak of really bad single

That’s teh funnee! :laughing:

I coulda writ more, but I rund outta exclamation pernts.

just curious, does anyone know what is the typical sentence for such an offence in taiwan?

over here, they slip a noose over your neck. then it is good night, sleep tight…for ever

Sadly, on forumosa the typical sentence for such an offense is “Fuckin’ idjit, these canadians make us all look bad, I hope they hang him.” But we don’t all feel that way.

Taiwan’s journalists, reporters and editors, proofreaders have no clue about math … words, that’s what they play with …

… and did the guy really believe that his foul smelling shoes would overpower the smell of dope? :roflmao: 4 years of collecting odorous sports shoes to do this drug run, all for nothing … :ponder: tjeez … what a masterplan :doh:

From Taipei to Kaohsiung is actually about 6 cm according to my map, so your really exaggerating there. And ducks have to obviously be less than two grams in weight or else why would they float?
I’m sorry I can’t comment on how tall the Chinese are, but there must be a good reason why they are building the tallest building in the world. You newspaper types. You’re always so over the top! :wink:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Mawvellous”]16 “bricks” hidden in sports shoes. Total 4.4 kg.
news.chinatimes.com/2007Cti/2007 … 63,00.html[/quote]

As others have pointed out, the estimated value is obviously completely wrong.

I’m also highly skeptical of the quantity. 4.4 kg hidden in sports shoes?

Here’s almost 6 kg (with an estimated value of $118K).

cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-l … -bust.html

If it really was 4.4 kg (and not 4 grams), I suspect the shoes looked like this

[/quote]
Have you been taking shrooms ?
Alice ?