UK passport: application for child's first passport (fyi)

I put this here for anyone needing to go through the same process soon. I hope it’s helpful. I’m unlikely to reply to any questions as I’m a rare visitor to Forumosa these days.

Notes: I am the father, and a UK citizen with an APRC. The mother is a Taiwan citizen. We live together but are not married. I’ve been through this process once before (2005) - notable differences this time around are: 1) I could apply for a passport directly, without first having to get a citizenship document; and 2) the process was online, and the British Office Taipei will transfer a phone query to the UK passport office (at local Taiwan rate); and 3) overall, it was simpler, though not that quick.

9 January 2023 - How to apply. First step is to get digital photo and code.
13 Jan - Applied online and paid.
22 Jan - Got ok from xxx and xxxx to do identification. Put in xxx’s details for ID process. [Note: passport application was approved on basis of only one person identifying child via online process]

Document list: [These are the documents I gathered together. In the end, I did not submit (1) to (3). I rang the UK passport office suggesting gently that (5) had the information needed, and that also sending (1) to (3) would be unnecessary. I was told, “Yes, we’ll need all those”. I chose to disregard this answer for two reasons: a) I think this was a call-centre dude giving the safe answer; and b) I wanted to avoid the extra cost of certifying the translation. The gamble paid off.]

1. Birth certificate (Chinese) – from hospital. This has mother’s name, but neither names of father or child. [NOT SENT]
  2. Birth certificate (Chinese) – copy with translator’s annotations. [NOT SENT]
  3. Birth certificate (Chinese) – Translated to English. [NOT SENT]
  4. Birth certificate (English) – from hospital. Has mother’s name and child’s name. Copy stamped by hospital.
  5. Household registration document issued in English – has parents’ and child’s details, and agreement of joint custody
  6. Child’s Taiwan passport – colour photocopy of all pages
  7. Consent letter – signed and dated by mother
  8. Father’s birth certificate – original.

2 Feb - Sent supporting docs (4 to 8 in list above) by DHL. c. TWD2,700 [a slower, cheaper method would be fine if you’re in no hurry]
6 Feb - message from DHL that docs delivered
14 Feb - message from passport office “Documents received”
28 Feb - message from passport office “Application approved”
1 Mar - message from passport office “Passport printed”
9 Mar - passport delivered by DHL
13 Mar - supporting documents to be delivered by DHL

2 Likes

Well done, and congratulations even.