UK registration for a child with parent not on certificate

Hey folks

As many of you know, if the parents aren’t married, the father does not go on the birth certificate.

Does anyone here have experience registering their child as a UK national and/or getting a UK passport for them?

Pretty much all advice online centres around having a birth certificate.

Cheers.

I’m pretty sure you’ll need a DNA test to prove parenthood of the parent who’s not on the birth certificate. I don’t know the rest of the procedure; trawling through the British government websites for the latest information is the best place to start.

For anyone reading this who’s happy with their pregnant significant other but for some reason doesn’t want to get married: things are a lot easier if your name is on your child’s birth certificate/hukou. The only way to get your name on the Taiwan birth certificate is to be married to the mother when the child is born.

Yes. I’ve been through their info but it’s very light on the DNA side. For example it says DNA test cannot be used as a substitute for required documents, i.e birth certificate. But it also says it can be used to prove paternity, so it’s a bit contradictive.

I did find another story on here whereby the home office had confirmed to a guy that a dna test would be fine, but as he had gotten married after their child was born he was simply able to change the household registration document and didn’t need the DNA test. I’ve also read the Taiwanese birth certificate can’t be used anyway and it needs to be the household registration certificate.

That seems to vary. The UK passport office wouldn’t accept my kid’s English-language birth certificate, but another poster reported success with the exact same kind.

My partner has been on the phone this morning. It seems I can do a DNA test in Taiwan and use that to add myself to the household registration document. Kind of the same hassle as doing a test for the UK but they seem to prefer to use official docs like this rather than DNA. If we can find a centre with the right ISO accreditation in theory we can use the test results for both. Seem to be around 20,000 NT.