UK Telegraph newspaper calls China bombings "Muslim Jihad"

telegraph.co.uk/sport/others … jihad.html

Beijing Olympics: Terror bombing was ‘Muslim jihad’
The Chinese government has said the bombing which killed 16 policemen in Kashgar was a premeditated jihad and promised an iron-fisted response to terrorists.

By Malcolm Moore in Kashgar
Last Updated: 5:24PM BST 05 Aug 2008

“We found papers on one of the suspects saying that their religious beliefs are more important than their lives, the prosperity of their families and even the well-being of their mothers. They were trying to perform a jihad,” said Shi Dagang, the Communist party secretary of Kashgar.

The two men were named as Abdul Rahman, 28, and Kurbanyan Ahmet, 33, both from Kashgar. Mr Shi said one was a taxi driver, the other was a hawker.

The two men drove a lorry into a troop of policemen that were on a morning jog outside the Yi Jin hotel. After the lorry overturned, the men threw homemade grenades at the policemen before stabbing them with knives, Mr Shi said.

“One of the men lost his arm in the explosion. The other is already on trial. We recovered nine grenades, two long knives, two daggers and a gun.”

Meanwhile, two Japanese journalists were arrested and beaten while trying to report on the bombing on Monday night.

Masami Kawakita, a photographer with the Chunichi Shimbun newspaper, said he was near the gates of the police compound when he was surrounded by soldiers.

“They picked me up by the arms and legs and carried me into the courtyard. They kicked me in the ribs and arms and one stood on my head with his boot,” he said.

Mr Kawakita, together with a reporter for Nippon Television, was detained for two hours without water or being allowed to make a telephone call before being released. The Japanese government said it planned to “protest strongly” to China over the alleged detention.

A French photographer and a Hong Kong-based reporter were also allegedly abused by police, and the Chinese government is expected to make a formal apology.

Day-ummmmm. Muslim Jihad? That’s one hell of a headline, especially in a country that has had a few Muslim problems of it’s own.
What kind of paper is the Telegraph? Are they right-wing or sensationalistic? I’m just asking, not saying they are.
Weird.
p.s. Mods, I am sorry i don’t know how to post url’s , if you point me to directions I’ll never post a lengthy one again. :blush:

[quote=“trebuchet”]…

Day-ummmmm. Muslim Jihad? That’s one hell of a headline, especially in a country that has had a few Muslim problems of it’s own.[/quote]
For awhile now, the northern Muslim populated area in China felt very repressed by the CCP to a point where they want independence. It’s clear, they’re using the Olympics as a beacon out to the international community.

No surprise.

[quote]
“They picked me up by the arms and legs and carried me into the courtyard. They kicked me in the ribs and arms and one stood on my head with his boot,” he said.[/quote]
No surprise either. (Although, the CCP apologized…but…)

Hmm… I wonder what’s next? First the monks, then the Muslims, and then what? Hindus or Christians? People can say they feel very free and can speak any language in China all they want. The minorities are as important as the majorities though. Their actions reflect the government’s treatment of them. No one will forget.

Few Uighurs (or Kazakhs, etc.) are interested in living a religiously pure life. The ones who turn to “Jihad” are likely doing so as a result of frustration, not conviction. Bombings like this are common all over China, by the way, an are often inspired by rage against officials or employers.

Yes, practically all Uighurs would LIKE to see the Chinese leave, and East Turkistan become independent. But most of them would be satisfied to be treated with greater respect, including full cultural freedoms and better economic opportunities. Alas, the Chinese seem incapable of this.

It looks to me that the Telegraph is using “Muslim Jihad” in quotes because it is reporting on what the Chinese government is calling it. The Telegraph itself isn’t declaring it a jihad.

Interesting to see the truth surfacing in the Telegraph.

Something the BBC seems unable to enunciate in their coverage.

Good point. The BBC is so apologist to the PRC it makes me sick. It is a repressive, corrupt and violent regime which props up Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe to name but 3. Unless its rise is checked, everyone will regret it eventually. The BBC is the first to criticise the US, often with good cause, but seems incapable or downright scared to say Boo to China.

It’s not particularly sensationalistic in the gutter press mould but its extremely right-wing and very reactionary. Read by the “Mr. Angry’s Lt. Col. (ret.) of Basingstoke”, and the like. Bring back the birch, this country’s going to the dogs, etc.