UK wants their own GPS system šŸ›°ļø

Leaving EU Galileo is not fully accessible anymore being a EU project.

In March 2018, the European Commission announced that the United Kingdom may be excluded from parts of Galileo (especially relating to the secured service PRS) following its exit from the European Union (EU). As a result, Airbus plans to relocate work on the Ground Control Segment (GCS) from its Portsmouth premises to an EU state.
British officials have been reported to be seeking legal advice on whether they can reclaim the ā‚¬1.4 billion invested by the United Kingdom, of the ā‚¬10 billion spent to date. In a speech at the EU Institute for Security Studies conference, the EU Chief Negotiator in charge of the Brexit negotiations, Michel Barnier, stressed the EU position that the UK had decided to leave the EU and thus all EU programmes, including Galileo.
In August 2018, it was reported the UK will look to create a competing satellite navigation system to Galileo post-Brexit.
In December 2018, British Prime Minister Theresa May announced that the UK would no longer seek to reclaim the investment, and Science Minister Sam Gyimah resigned over the matter.

UK just invested Ā£500m into bankrupt OneWeb Global Limited.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really petty of the EU if the UK put in the initial investment. The EU needs to stop being butt hurt about it, it proves the point of the brexit crowd.

3 Likes

Or the UK govt can quit their whinging and cooperate on other matters. I think the government there feels entitled to all the benefits of the EU and none of the costs.

3 Likes

Even as a UK citizen, I donā€™t see it as petty. The UK government decided to (bumblingly) leave the EU. This is an EU project. Even if the UK put in part of the initial investment, itā€™s unrealistic to expect all the benefits of being in the EU without any of the drawbacks. Maybe the EU can drop half of a satellite on Downing Street or something.

1 Like

I think they are entitled to use the GPS system they funded or some kind of refund.

1 Like

I think itā€™s only fair they get a few hundred million back if they donā€™t get all the access. Not the entire thing as they did use it for a while.

how many geostationary satellites can you have at a time? I thought there is a limited number of slots right?

So if every country has their own GPS system then at some point they are going to run out of slots. Then you have other satellites that need to be geostationary like communication and stuff.

The project seems to have been started in the late 1990s and went live in 2016 (according to Wikipedia), and the whole Brexit thing started in 2016. I feel like if the UK wanted continued access or a partial refund, this is one of the many things they should have negotiated in the subsequent couple of years rather than pushing it through irrespective of the consequences. They didnā€™t, and so here we areā€¦

1 Like

thatā€™s your opinion of the eu.

the uk chose to leave on their own will with all the consequences. the bad are more obvious than the potential good.

why should the eu give the uk any slack?

itā€™s not like the uk has been treated unfair or been neglected while in the eu. in fact, the uk had always been granted special treatment. less contributions, less eu policies.

if you donā€™t want access to the eu, thatā€™s fine. but donā€™t cry afterwards when things actually change.

1 Like

In this particular case, I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to lock them out of something they invested into from the start. Itā€™s not special treatment to think you should benefit in something you invested into.

But they invested in an EU project, and then decided to leave the EU. :man_shrugging:

Non EU states have also contributed and given different levels of access to Galileo. Switzerland and Norway have access to secured service PRS if Iā€™m not mistaken. I think if you put up 14% of the money, thatā€™s enough to have the benefits of it at this point. Itā€™s not like the UK is an enemy to the EU. 1.4 Trillion is a lot.

i think they invested much more in many other ventures linked to the eu.

once you leave a company, youā€™re not actively involved anymore and you donā€™t have a say in it anymore.

You do if you put up 14% of the investment to the project. You would likely own 14% unless agreed to otherwise. This isnā€™t a private enterprise, but if you went with this reasoning, they do have a say. The EU should buy them out if this is the way we want to look at it.

1 Like

switzerland and norway are not part of the eu but abide to certain rules which both parties have agreed to and therefore theyā€™re eligible to participate. itā€™s an ever ongoing negotiation but itā€™s not at all the situation the uk put itself in.

maybe they will eventually?

I think this is fair. 10% and send them on their way. I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to just lock them out of a project they put up 1.4 trillion into. I think they are one of the largest contributors to the project. My understanding is the UK also contributed with technology as well. So itā€™s not all just financial.

Edit: I got it wrong, it was 1.4 billion. Not as nearly as ridiculous as 1.4 trillion. But still the same logic applies. And the UK isnā€™t an enemy, itā€™s not like itā€™s some risk to have them use the military signal they have been using since it was launched.

i donā€™t think itā€™s trillions. thatā€™s unheard of.

itā€™s not all financial, thatā€™s the point. it was a mutual cooperation with benefits on both sides.

but hey, ā€œOne of the most prominent claims made by the Leave campaign was that the UK would take back Ā£350m a week once it had left the EUā€

theyā€™ll have that money back in no time according to brexiters.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly - 1.4 billion euros is less than 4 weeks of the purported savings, so shouldnā€™t take too long to recoup the investment! :uk: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

What is the point? The UK invested money and technology into the system. They should benefit from it like other countries like Switzerland and Norway which invested far less than the UK.