Ukraine Invaded by the Russians - April to August 2022

Can’t make out much from that video.

S-8 is a Soviet vintage weapons system.

The suggestion that the US has an off-the-shelf plug in that’ll convert it into a guided weapon system doesn’t seem very realistic.

I THINK I’ve somewhere seen a suggestion that the Russians had, or were thinking of developing, some active homing projectiles for it.

1 Like

Unclear whether deployed, but seems not.

My “active homing” description above may be incorrect. The system as a whole uses active laser target designation, but the rockets themselves home passively.

1 Like

So any kind of guidance device would likely be a Russian one? Or have I completely misunderstood?

By the way, the thread below is funnier (in my opinion) than the one I posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1533543376192258050

I heard Russia is stopping neon exports to Taiwan. Anyone else know more?

Ukraine produces more neon. That is why Taiwan is sending Ukraine aid.

1 Like

Time to think outside the trench before it’s too late:

The nature of the fight has changed for the Ukrainians from up-close urban fighting and hit-and-run attacks on Russian armored columns around Kyiv, at which they excelled, to long-distance artillery battles and airstrikes on the eastern front, where Russia’s superior firepower gives it the upper hand.

Soldiers who served in the trenches last week near the village of Dovhenke near the contested region of Donetsk described hiking to positions and digging in as tank shells, mortars and cluster bombs landed around them.

I don’t, but neon is for more ASML.

Ukraine makes up about 50% of neon supplies, then South Korea, and then China.
TSMC says it’s secured other suppliers (yes, TSMC needs neon).
Ukraine has neon gas purification plants in Odessa. Neon is a byproduct of steel production.
Neon gas can still be a choke point for semicons, nonetheless.

2 Likes

Yao, 28 years old, comes from a family in Taipei City’s Wanhua District that has been engaged in the medical industry for two generations. Prior to his enlistment in the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine, Yao had only one year of training during his compulsory military service in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Great men.

1 Like

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.

They be saying why in article.

They be dying so people will help Taiwan in return.

Sorry. To me just cannon fodder for a proxy war run by U.S. neocons on both sides of the aisle at the profit of only 1 entity: U.S. MIC

3 Likes

So are you saying the Ukrainian people are being forced to fight against the Russian invaders but what they really want to do is surrender to Russian occupation?

3 Likes

You’re good at putting words in people’s mouths for certain subjects. Keep it going. AAA+ credit rating there.

Don’t be ridiculous. The Ukrainian people are just slaves doing the bidding of the US MIC. Why don’t they smarten up, let the Russians have their way with them, and tell the US MIC to go f itself?

4 Likes

You’re evading the question with a non sequitur (pretending a question is an assertion).

3 Likes

There may well be exceptions, but I’m pretty sure that that’s the way these kinds of things usually work. That is, for reasons of their own (reasons which might be somewhat less than saintly), people and groups sometimes decide to help whoever’s rebelling against whatever they’re rebelling against. For example:

“Spain and the American Revolutionary War,” Wikipedia

“The involvement of the Dutch in the American War of Independence,” in Atlantic World, a collection of the Library of Congress and Koninklijke Bibliotheek

–from “Background” in “Franco-American alliance,” Wikipedia

An incredible amount of contraband went through there. The British eventually leveled it (if I recall right, the desire to do so and win the resulting booty led to the fleet not being available at Yorktown).

1 Like

Thanks, I learned something today!

1 Like