Ukraine Invasion: General Discussion, November-December 2022

I wonder if Taiwan has any credible cyber defence

You mean they were planning to vote for Clinton but something Russia’s vaunted hacking squads posted on Facebook made them change their mind?

Maybe so but I have yet to meet a single Trump voter who ever had the slightest intention of voting for Clinton.

The NYT article is quite good, but try to see it for what it is. they are stenographers for the IC. Which is not to ay anything they are reporting is false. But they are putting this out now for a reason, at this time.

There’s quite a few tools Russia hasn’t used yet.

I wasn’t ignoring anything. My point, which was tongue in cheek, stands just fine. Internet Research Agency was more successful than Russian infrastructure hackers because they had easier targets. That is all.

I got it , you tried to take a cheap shot on an issue where in fact the people who were really duped were the ones that bought into the Clinton dossier and the whole circus that followed.

It would be wise to leave that topic alone rather than get called out as to who were really duped.

1 Like

The dossier gets trotted out often enough, I’m both sidsing this one

The only people I know who were turned by the Wikileaks’ release of Clinton’s and the DNC’s hacked emails were Bernie supporters who decided to sit out the election or vote for the Green Party candidate.

1 Like

Yeah, but the question still remains, were the DNC emails even hacked?

That’s what we were told and expected to believe. But evidence would seem to suggest a locally downloaded exfiltration of data. Not hacked.

We could ask Julian Assange, except he’s locked up and drugged out of his mind. They raided the embassy to lock him up about 5 minutes before Mullers report asserted “oh yes, the Russians hacked the DNC” funny how the timing of that worked out.

what a nice place. Just drop 100 men into lines of fire so they can soak up ammo, rinse and repeat, prison population going down though. Ethnic cleansing without having to actually go cleanse your poor populace.

Saw a russian officer giving a mother her sons remains in a plastic bag outside of her makeshift house being held up by wooden hinges. No wonder the soldiers are stealing toilets, some of these poor folks haven’t ever seen civilization before.

2 Likes

Exactly. Ukraine had known Russia would attack and even the time it would attack a year ahead. The US reluctantly came to that conclusion, and most EU countries didn’t want to believe it even after the invasion has started. Ukraine was prepared for the Russians’ cyber attacks. Had there been more support from Western countries, they might even have been prepared to keep Russians out of their borders to begin with.

People! Sometimes this actually not all about Trump, the Clintons, or whatever domestic US issues that happen to be on your mind.

Open up a bit and see the world beyond US politics. I know you can do it! :grin:

Guy

4 Likes

Quite a few tools Russia hasn’t used, indeed

I wonder how many of those tools were named “Vlad” after Putin?

Best thing for everyone is for Putin to give up his unnecessary invasion. Unlikely, :disappointed_relieved:

My bad, I quipped and it struck a nerve.

It happens to the best of us. :upside_down_face:

Guy

That’s precisely the conclusion drawn in the NY Times piece. Putin thinks he can outwait and outlast the west. Will he?

Guy

1 Like

Indeed it is:

*Internet Research Agency

Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller, III, “Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election,” p. 25 of the Report, p. 33 of the PDF document

In the document referenced above, Mueller also mentions YouTube, on p. 22 (p. 30 in the PDF), p. 49 (p. 57 in the PDF), and p. 100 (p. 108 in the PDF). But I’m not sure about expenditure amounts in the case of YouTube.

I couldn’t find an amount for Twitter in the Mueller document. Maybe I missed it, but I note that parts of the document are blacked out. So I went with this:

Luis Gomez, “Exactly how much Russians spent on Twitter, Facebook ads during election,” The San Diego Union-Tribune, September 28, 2017

I read something about TikTok, too, but I’m not sure where, and I don’t recall reading any amounts with regard to TikTok (I’m not saying they’re not available). And of course there were probably other expenditures by Russian actors/agents/entities.

For contrast:

Christopher Ingraham, “Somebody just put a price tag on the 2016 election. It’s a doozy,” Washington Post, April 14, 2017

2 Likes

Do you know where they are referring to?

Yes this is the new narrative they are spinning about a particular place the Western media has been ignoring for months. Some have actually been reporting on what’s been going on there since about October and let’s say this narrative doesn’t exactly jive with what they have been saying.

@Mick What would be the goal of the media spreading fake news that the Russians are doing badly in an incompetently led military operation? Surely TPTB would prefer a media narrative that said Russia was doing well, so Ukraine needs more weapons.

I don’t understand the need for propaganda about Russia performing badly.

Western media is just reporting whatever Ukraine tells them to report, their “journalism” might as well be prefaced with “Baghdad Bob says”.

3 Likes

Similarly the frequent stories in the last week or so about a big new Russian offensive, which seems to be sourced entirely from the Ukrainian government:

2 Likes