Ultralight tour plane Business in penghu or scenic places

About ten years ago, my wife and I went up to Chi(1) Du(3) (between Taipei and Keelung) for free ultralight flights.

They offered either a free flight in an ultralight or a trip “up” in a hot-air balloon that remained tethered to the ground. I think this was one of those freebies for looking at a new apartment complex. Typically, they give you a blender or coffee maker or something worth NT$600-NT$1000 just for looking at their apartments with gym center etc. You feign interest for a few moments in exchange for your gift. Anyway, they weighed you (I was just light enough at 83 kgs.), had you sign a release; you sat beside the pilot, and off you went. The flight was 5 minutes, and it was fun! I was surprised by two things; the slow speed, and the steep angle of approach when landing.

At least that’s the way I remember it.

My wife seems to think it was either in Danshui or on the way to Keelung, or somewhere beyond Keelung. And it was definitely before we were married (12 years ago), but wait, maybe we were married but pre-kids; no, we had a kid, and we went there (Danshui, beyond Keelung or Chi(1) Du(3)) with her brother and sister-in-law who had their first child, but, no, that would be impossible . . . they were there, but they must have been childless . . . they were still tryin’ at that time. Anyway, it was in the hills, up in the air with the coach, and I don’t know how long it lasted, but it was up in the air; then back down. You had to get out of your car, and maybe there was a minibus that took you to a place where you had to walk, or maybe there was no minibus, but for sure, you had to walk up the hill and then later down. There weren’t any stores there. I think it wasn’t to show you the apartments; it was to introduce hot-air ballooning and ultralights to people in Taiwan. I remember it was free. And our little child went up in the balloon or maybe the ultralight . . . or not . . . if she was even there . . . I think it was the balloon, but there was a lot of waiting and standing if she went up in the balloon. Anyway, it was uhn-fer-get-uh-buhl.

cool good to know maybe far out in country area someplaces you can fly easily and safely and under radar

could be promising

after much thinking an even more difficult or enforceable way to fly is the hang glider, because its not a plane and requires no license or regulation

todays hang gliders can be equipped with motorized engine propeller packs attached to them to take off from anywhere flat ground

now just to figure out a tandem harness to do this to take up tourist make some money :doh:

hi uncleargenius

still in taiwan ?
what about your project now ?

Thanks to let me know

[quote]well im much more scared taking a commercial flight and there are 2 reasons why…

1. this kind of plane can fly and land with the engine off in a jet thats impossible[/quote]

Nonsense. It can glide and land with the engine off. Aside from the risks of a piston engine which has many moving parts, as opposed to a jet engine which only has essentially one moving part, modern commercial aircraft are designed to fly safely on less engines than they have. Not only that, jet engines are professionally maintained whereas a one-man piston engine affair is not maintained to the same standards. Also, modern jets can maintain a glide slope - in fact, it is standard procedure to glide in idle form cruising height to an assigned lower altitude.

It’s worrying that you should mention a whole wing breaking off having just stipulated that ultralights are safer than commercial airliners. I seldom hear of commercial jet wings coming off, however, I often read of ultralight wings spars coming apart or failing altogether.

Ballistic parachute landings are tough on the spine. Given the choice, I’d rather jump out.
Life jackets? If you are flying over any kind of water, you’ll need them. Locator beacon? You’ll probably best have that, too.

[quote]so to this day im still very scared to go in a jet knowing that i cant parachute out of a jet and if the wing breaks on a jet

or the engine dies more then likely everyone will die [/quote]

Again, modern jet passenger aircraft have more than one engine, and those engines are very unlikely to fail. Wings don’t just come off airliners or seldom have, in any case. Airline wings are an integral part of the airframe and as such would take half of the fuselage with them if they were to just ‘come off’.
Ultralight wings are different. They are not integral to the frame. Not only this, but they are stressed through cables. Any loss of tension in any one of the cables will result in the flying characteristics of the wing being distorted.

Or landing in a crosswind. Or encountering clear air turbulence off ridges. Or through lack of regular maintenance. Or from strong unexpected down-draughts on final. Or from human error: not maintaining enough forward airspeed, incipient spin, colliding with power lines or running out of fuel, misjudged final - that kind of thing

If you have 500 hours TT PIC then you wouldn’t be so complacent. If you really do have 500 PIC then I wouldn’t get in a plane with you, because a good pilot should be able to prepare for all eventualities and always have the question “what if…” lurking at the back of his or her mind, whether the pilot is flying an airliner or a two seat ultralight. You also appear to have a lack of knowledge of aviation in the wider sense that you are happy to compare the complexities of an airliner in perhaps the most safety conscious, regulated industry in the world to an ultralight which is essentially a go-cart on wings and is backed by about as much regulation as my kitchen table.

[quote=“urodacus”]Regardless of how safe you think the machine is, how well trained you are, how many flying hours you have, how international your licence is, etc etc, it does not amount to a hill of beansif the authorities in Taiwan look at you and your 503 lb plane and say " No F’ing way are we going to give a licence to a bignose".

Which is entirely possible. So do your research carefully, and assume that the chances of being approved are slim to bugger all. Then, if you do manage to get a licence, it is a big bonus! Of course, once you start accepting paying customers, then you’d need an established business, a working visa, insurance, an accountant, etc. All of these are possible but not at all easy to get. I am not trying to crush your dreams here, just allow you to set some reasonable expectations. Best of luck![/quote]

Dreams are for chasing