Ultrasonic pest deterrent

Does anyone know a) if they work and b) where you can buy them?

Thanks

What type of pests? I had a rat in my apartment a couple of years ago and bought one from a company in Danshui. It worked like a charm and got rid of it in a day or so. They had two price levels from NT$1600 to NT$2500. I have a small apartment so I bought the lower level. I still use it everyday and have never had any other probems.

Their number is 2627- 9296

I think this is their web site but not positive as I can’t read Chinese:

ta-an.com.tw/

I also saw them at Costco for a while but did not notice if they still had them recently, though I was not really looking for them.

Thanks Interlocutor

It was rodent type pests i was thinking of, although i understand that some will work for mosquitoes as well.

Stuart, I have looked into this a bit and it seems that they work for rodents, and for crawling insects (ants, cockroaches etc.), but that the scientific jury is out on whether they work for mosquitoes.

I think you need different frequencies for rodents and for crawling insects. Not sure whether you can get both from the same unit or whether you have to buy separate units. Also, I’ve read that it’s best to get one that varies the frequency rather than one with a fixed frequency. Apparently bugs/rodents can become tolerant to a fixed frequency.

This company makes the PestClear ultrasonic repellents: not sure whether they deliver to Taiwan but anyway there’s some good information on the site.
brighterimage.ie/index.html
They claim that their products work for mosquitoes, so perhaps there has been some more recent research on this that I haven’t heard about. Anyway, there have been some good reviews of the PestClear units in general.

I will go to your house and whine. 100NT per hour.

I will go to your house and wine. 750ml of Merlot per hour.

I saw one at Costco. I can’t remember the price but I remember thinking it seemed reasonable if it worked. Almost bought it but then thought about my dog! I’m sure if I read the label there would be some mention about no harm to pets but didn’t feel like trying the experiment.

joesax wrote:

The one I bought was for rodents only. It has an adjustable volume knob so you can go to high or low frequencies. And believe me high is high. I ran it on high for a night and the neighbors complained they couldn’t sleep (got rid of the rat though :bravo: ).

They recommend setting it on a high frequency for a while to chase the rodent out and then keeping it on a lower frequency to keep them and others away (rodents have very good homing senses.)

One reason I keep using it is that there is a lot of construction, remodeling, street repair, etc. in my neighborhood. When this happens rodents get displaced from their homes and seek shelter elsewhere and can wind up in people’s homes.

The one I have has never reduced the steady population of mosquitoes in my building though. However, since I bought a Honeywell air purifier I have noticed much fewer mosquitoes in my apartment. Maybe it’s sucking them up.

Btw, I forgot to mention that the company in Danshui delivers to Taipei city.

Shawerma wrote:

I saw the one at Costco too and it was a bit cheaper than the one I bought but it claimed to cover rodents and roaches, etc. and I felt as mine only was for rodents it would be more effective in getting rid of it. I have a small dog and though I don’t run it when he is in the apartment he has been around a couple of times when it has been on and he doesn’t seem to notice it.

[quote=“Interlocutor”]joesax wrote:

[quote]I think you need different frequencies for rodents and for crawling insects. Not sure whether you can get both from the same unit or whether you have to buy separate units. Also, I’ve read that it’s best to get one that varies the frequency rather than one with a fixed frequency. Apparently bugs/rodents can become tolerant to a fixed frequency. [/quote]The one I bought was for rodents only. It has an adjustable volume knob so you can go to high or low frequencies. And believe me high is high. I ran it on high for a night and the neighbors complained they couldn’t sleep (got rid of the rat though :bravo: ).

They recommend setting it on a high frequency for a while to chase the rodent out and then keeping it on a lower frequency to keep them and others away (rodents have very good homing senses.)[/quote]I think that what you are describing is a control for amplitude (volume) rather than frequency.

In the audible sonic range, we perceive changes in frequency as changes in musical pitch. Different ultrasonic frequencies operate according to the same principle except that we are not supposed to be able to hear any of them.

I mentioned two reasons for having variable or multiple frequencies. One was to repel different animals (rodents, crawling insects, or possibly mosquitoes). The other reason was in the case of a freqency band for one kind of animal only, varying the frequency so that adaptation didn’t occur: the animals wouldn’t be able to become tolerant to a single frequency.

It sounds to me as if the unit you bought may be putting out a single, fixed frequency.

joesax wrote:

I really couldn’t say. The instructions were all in Chinese which I can’t read. When you turn the knob to low it emits faint crackling type sounds like a fire in a fireplace.

Medium starts higher pitched sounds that vary in pitch. Turn it to high and you can hear it out on the street with very wavy high frequency sounds that can be painful to the ear, hence my neighbors complaints when I first ran it on high for a night to get rid of the rodent. Recently I had been running it on a level just under medium and someone still complained about it.

Whatever it is it worked well and still does two years later.

Found one in B&Q at the weekend. 500 NT.It has some weird clicking but i guess is OK. I may order one another one in the UK and see if thats any different.

B&Q also sell personal mosi deterents, for 100NT so have to see if they work as well

Stuart, what does it look like and what brand is it? What section did you find it in?

There’s a B & Q near me and I’d like to get one too.

Thanks.

Joe

Hio Joe

I found it in the pest control section, not really branded, but it has English writing on the box.

The unit itself is black witha large speaker on the front. It comes with a power adaptor.

Good luck finding it. I got mine from the Branch in Neihu.

U guys are killing me. Those things dont work . Its like using magnets to increase gas milage or copper bracelets to increase the Chi. What it is is a gimmick to part you from your money. It works very well for that, :laughing:

[quote=“Shin-Gua”]U guys are killing me. Those things dont work . Its like using magnets to increase gas milage or copper bracelets to increase the Chi. What it is is a gimmick to part you from your money. It works very well for that, :lol:[/quote]If I remember rightly (it’s a while since I looked up this stuff) the research shows that they work well for rodents and for crawling insects but that there is not very strong evidence that they work for mosquitoes.

However, as EU laws are quite strict on the claims that companies can make for their products, and the PestClear products are claimed to have mosquito repellent capability, perhaps there has been some further research that I’m not aware of.