"Um" replaced by "like"

Obama is generally an excellent speaker, which really lets his bad habit of saying “uh” stick out.

Is it easy to emigrate to NZ? I want to go.[/quote]

Personally I have no idea since I was born (t)here. I did meet a South African family in Taiwan who were rejected emmigation to NZ but I suspect that was more about funds.

“Like” and “you know” go back pretty far.

[quote]“British Teens Get the Word: Like, Cool It!”[/quote]–headline, Chicago Tribune, June 5, 1964
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotrib … atl=google

[quote]Our son is a very normal kid whose only beatnik tendencies are an affinity to bongo drums and the word “like.”[/quote]–“Helen Help Us,” advice column, Eugene (Oregon) Register-Guard, January 28, 1960. news.google.com/newspapers?id=yq … cool&hl=en

[quote]Maynard is called a “one-man slob” by his classmates and is picked up for vagrancy and he slips the word “like” in almost everywhere (“She’s like beautiful”).[/quote]John Crosby, “Updated Henry Aldrich,” St. Petersburg (Florida) Times, October 18, 1959 news.google.com/newspapers?id=Bd … like&hl=en

[quote]LONDON (AP) – [A group of] fussy grammarians has formed a society to [stamp] out the phrase “you know,” used by public fig[ures] on radio a[n]d TV. . . .[/quote]–“It’s Habit, You Know,” Hartford (Connecticut) Courant, November 16, 1969 google.com/archivesearch?as_ … _scoring=a

[quote]The insecurity of the age and a pathetic appeal by people to have others back up what they are trying to say, is manifest today in the universal use of the expression “you know.”[/quote]–“It’s, you know, complicated,” Ottawa Citizen, April 18, 1969 news.google.com/newspapers?id=lq … know&hl=en

[quote]The purpose of education is to teach the student to think. The phrase YOU KNOW is widely used today because of the inability to think.[/quote]–“Voice of the People,” opinion column, (Kentucky) New Era, November 22, 1967 news.google.com/newspapers?id=le … oday&hl=en

I rather like the idea of an “Um” button. I would click it.

But seriously, yes, it’s shocking that people use interjections. Standards are falling, laziness increasing, the sky falling down, etc. We should all insist on speaking Middle English and wearing codpieces.

Been there, done that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I would love your small town. :cactus:

I still hear a lot of “like um” and “um like” so the two could be conjoined still.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“Chris”]What about “I’m all”, “he’s all”, etc? Usually said by girls.

A: So he hit on this other girl, and I’m all like “How could you?”
B: No way! Then what?
A: Then he’s all like “I’m sorry!” But I’m all like"Whatever!"you knowwwwwwwwww[/quote]
Fixed :laughing:[/quote]
No need to “fix” it by adding “like”. Plain “I’m all” will do.

I’ve had a couple of students return from lengthy homestays or private schools in Canada adding a lot of “So” to their speech. It usually replaces words like “very” and “much”.

I liked that character on “Trailer Park Boys” that compulsively said, “Know what I mean?” at the end of every sentence.