Unauthorized uses of credit card

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right section to post my question / call for help in, so please, mods, move it if you see fit.

I have been robbed of some money through unauthorized uses of my post office credit card. I was a bit careless and I did not notice little amounts missing from my account in the last three weeks and only yesterday I thought of checking my detailed withdrawal history, which revealed some thousands ntd went missing in three or four payments. :bluemad: :noway: :cry: :cry:

Now, all the post office people were able to tell me if that the payments were carried out in Kaohsiung (which I did not visit in the last 23 months). The card has been blocked but, also due to my crappy Chinese and the fact that the only post office I can go to right now is the small one in NCTU (Hsinchu), I could not get any information on whether or not I can get my money back through some sort of customer insurance (I had something like that on my old credit card). I am fairly sure I can show I did not make those payments (though showing I was NOT in Kaohsiung might be more difficult).

Does anyone here know anything about this kind of situation in Taiwan? Did anyone go through a similar experience? I would appreciate any help. :pray: :frowning:

Showing you were not in Kaohsiung should be super easy. You go to 7-Eleven a lot like everyone else right? Pull out those fapiaos and present them. You go to work or school right? Get a copy of your punchcard or the teacher’s attendance roll, or have a coworker or teacher vouch for your alibi. The rest, I’m sorry to say, I can’t help with as I’ve never had a TW credit card.

Well, yes, I can pretty much get a bunch of students and a couple of professor swear I was in Nangang all day on Thursday, when the payment was made.

It looks like I can recover some.money though.

Question…Did your loss ocur as the result of purchases made on your card or did someone literally withdrawal amounts from your bank account using your card (i.e. like a debit card?).

As far as proving your were not present at the location of withdrawal - you will need hard evidence. Timed and dated pictures (i…e from a security camera) or other hard evidence that is timed, dated and incontrovertibly evidences your presence. Hand written work or attendance records are not going to work. Nor will (in my view) the testimony or friends, co-workers professors etc. as the bank has no reason to accept their word.

[quote=“Timabee”]Question…Did your loss ocur as the result of purchases made on your card or did someone literally withdrawal amounts from your bank account using your card (i.e. like a debit card?).

As far as proving your were not present at the location of withdrawal - you will need hard evidence. Timed and dated pictures (i…e from a security camera) or other hard evidence that is timed, dated and incontrovertibly evidences your presence. Hand written work or attendance records are not going to work. Nor will (in my view) the testimony or friends, co-workers professors etc. as the bank has no reason to accept their word.[/quote]

The card has been used online for a purchase, I found out. Therefore the location is not even relevant: the website is registered in Kaohsiung, but whoever used my card didn’t need to be there. Thinking of it, that was the only way, for the card is still in my possession.

[quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“Timabee”]Question…Did your loss ocur as the result of purchases made on your card or did someone literally withdrawal amounts from your bank account using your card (i.e. like a debit card?).

As far as proving your were not present at the location of withdrawal - you will need hard evidence. Timed and dated pictures (i…e from a security camera) or other hard evidence that is timed, dated and incontrovertibly evidences your presence. Hand written work or attendance records are not going to work. Nor will (in my view) the testimony or friends, co-workers professors etc. as the bank has no reason to accept their word.[/quote]

The card has been used online for a purchase, I found out. Therefore the location is not even relevant: the website is registered in Kaohsiung, but whoever used my card didn’t need to be there. Thinking of it, that was the only way, for the card is still in my possession.[/quote]

If the card in question is a debit card and the money was withdrawn directly from your bank account - you are likely SOL although I would wonder how the theives managed to to execute an online transactions without knowing your PIN or CVV ( a 3-digit number on the back) or whatever passes for a “security code” on your card. If the card is a credit card I would also wonder how they executed the transaction without providing some information to the issuing company (the post office) that the card was actually in possession (this is a fairly simple fraud prevention technique).

In order to execute a card-not-present transaction (assuming the post office requires some level of basic fraud prevention), the thieves would need to know either your PIN, the CVV number, or the the security code (if any). Did you receive a bill listing the transactions in question. Have you already paid the bill? If not, you should formally dispute the specific charge(s) as fraudulent. Make sure you pay all legitimate charges. Your Cardholder Agremeent should spell out the requirements in terms of forms, information etc. that you need to provide in order to formally dispute. The Agreement should also spell out the finacial institutions responsiblities in terms of investigating and resolving the dispute.

See “A Guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards” posted by Yuli on January 27, 2011. I have not read the entire thread but it may provide some useful information.

My card is a VISA debit card and the amount missing has already been deducted from my savings. My guess on how they did ot is that someone I handed my card to during a transaction got smart and took two quick photos of the front (card number and expiry date) and the back (CVV). It most probably happened at a gas station: I use my card when refueling quite often and those are the only times when I lose sight of my card ('cause they usually walk from my car to the register) for about 1 minute, as opposed of when I use it in shops, when I can always see it.

Thank you for the advice. I will try to see if something can be done though for now it does not look like that.

Sorry to hear that. I have never been a fan of debit cards for this reason. They are very convenient…much like cash. But like cash, once it is gone…it is gone. A credit card affords the opportunity to dispute a harge that appears fraudulent. Since your card is a Visa card, perhaps there is still an opportunity to recover since the Associations (V/MC) have an interest in protecting their brand from fraudsters. Best of luck to you.

There’s -probably nothing useful in that thread for the OP, sorry to say…

OTOH, if someone made online purchases, then the items ordered would have to be delivered to someone somewhere - i’d be going to look for clues in that direction…