Unemployment benefit - is there any for APRC holders?

I’m looking for more information on the possibility of receiving unemployment benefit in Taiwan.

Is there anyone out there who’s either received it, or applied for it and been rejected?

The unemployment benefits you get around here are free time.

There are no unemployment benefits schemes in Taiwan.

Stop going to Carnagies and get a job, young man.

Here are the application forms in Chinese. The instructions seem to imply that ARC holders can apply for the benefits if they meet the requirements because it asks for ID documents other than National ID Card. But the application form seems to call for citizen status.

You can probably call the Bureau of Labor insurance at 02-2396-1266. This is their “Information Center Telephone.”

i searched around on the Internet. It appears that only low-income foreign spouses are eligible for unemployment benefits. I think the max anyone can get is NT$21K per month for six months although they are now discussing extending benefits.

Presumptuous of you to assume I’m young, you old git, as it is for me to assume you’re old.

Feiren, thanks for the info - I’ll pursue this later this week.

Hi there,
If you have been paying your labour insurance for 18 months in the last three years and have an APRC, you should be able to get 60% of your salary up to a maximum of about 40-50,000 per month as far as I can see. I would love for our glorious leader (Mr. Hartzell) to weigh in on this one as if you can’t claim for it, then that means that you do not have the same work rights as locals, which is the stated intent of the APRC (allowing foreign spose the same ability to raise and provide for their families as locals). From previous experience, my guess would be that if you go to different offices around the country you may get different results on this one.

The BLI website is fairly clear on this one, and seems to say that “natives” (I assume they mean citizens rather than the aboriginal tribes) have to join and it is voluntary for foreign workers. As far as ability to claim is concerned, there do not seem to be any specific restrictions on foreigners claiming the benefit.

http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.asp?a=0000062

If we do not qualify for benefit even though we have been paying for labour insurance, then one could politely ask why we should pay for the insurance at all.

QEND I suspect

I was made redundant on June 30th from the bushiban I was working for.

On July 5 I received my last salary plus the redundancy payout (half a month salary + half of the half month salary).

On July 10 I received a letter from the Employment bureau, notifying me that as I had been made redundant I was now eligible for unemployment benefit.

All that would be required is for me to go to one of their offices with my APRC and the official notice of redundancy given to me by my ex-school.

[quote=“jands”]I was made redundant on June 30th from the buxiban I was working for.

On July 5 I received my last salary plus the redundancy payout (half a month salary + half of the half month salary).

On July 10 I received a letter from the Employment bureau, notifying me that as I had been made redundant I was now eligible for unemployment benefit.

All that would be required is for me to go to one of their offices with my APRC and the official notice of redundancy given to me by my ex-school.[/quote]

This matches what I recently heard - a change in the regulations earlier this year means that at least some foreigners are now eligible for unemployment benefit of some sort

So does anybody have the final word on unemployment benefit for APRC holders? Do we qualify? Has anybody ever received it or knows of an APRC holder who has?

Not for APRC holders but I’m on a JFRV and got it. Here’s my situation: Worked for a company for 3 years, entitled to about 40-50% of my final salary for 6 months and if I found a job within that 6 months after my 3 months probation period I can apply for a lump sum.

As I understand it you have to have worked for a minimum of a year before you can claim anything.

For more info there’s an employment office on the 10th floor of the government building in Xinyi, near 101, sorry don’t know the street name, but it’s near the post office thats in that area.

Unlike European countries that encourage people to not work, this system is for those in need and have paid their insurance contributions.

I think it has to do more with whether you pay labor insurance premiums (or some similar plan) than it does with whether you have an APRC vs. an ARC. Either one should be fine, as far as I can tell.

If you are laid off is your employer required to pay compensation? I heard it was 1 month salary for each year employed at the company.

Not for APRC holders but I’m on a JFRV and got it. Here’s my situation: Worked for a company for 3 years, entitled to about 40-50% of my final salary for 6 months and if I found a job within that 6 months after my 3 months probation period I can apply for a lump sum.

As I understand it you have to have worked for a minimum of a year before you can claim anything.

For more info there’s an employment office on the 10th floor of the government building in Xinyi, near 101, sorry don’t know the street name, but it’s near the post office thats in that area.

Unlike European countries that encourage people to not work, this system is for those in need and have paid their insurance contributions.[/quote]

Generalisation of the year. I guess you need it more than all those lazy Europeans who got laid off eh?

That’s the statutory minimum yes. That is also why many companies would rather not fire you but make you so uncomfortable that you would fire yourself.